Bandsaw mill was here

Sounds like you came out with a pretty good cache of wood Steve. Three months late...Were the trees just recently cut down or have they been sitting for a while? Was the cotton wood from one tree or more? We had a couple of cottonwoods on the back of the pond dam that were huge, could imagine that much coming out of one.

The Ash had been down for quite some time. The rest were recent. The Cottonwood was one big ol tree. Probably could have gotten more, but how much Cottonwood does one guy need?

Not sure what it can be used for other than gates and dividers in the barn. I have a couple nice pieces selected to try and make something out of it. Just to see how it works and what it looks like.

Just read up on it now i can recognise the tree. It looks to be in the same family as poplar. With that being the case its a hardwood. Not attractive as in maple or walnut etc but what about as a base for veneer work. Still a hardwood. From what i read it grows to be one of the largest in North America and hundreds of years old, although i guess those are probably all gone today.

Good practice wood from what i see. What about for painted items like say painted rail and stile on a door. Or painted chest.

Gonna look for some next time i am at the lumber yard just to see what its really like in the hands.:)