Gift for My Wife's Cousin

Paul Douglass

Last month, my wife and I went to an annual family reunion. Had such a great time I thought I make a gift for my wife's cousin that ramrods the event. He really does it all up fine and puts in a lot of work to get it organized. I made him this pen. It's a PSI Big Ben kit. The wood is amboyna burl. CA finish. It is the first time I have turned this wood. What a treat. I purchased it from isaacrapelje on IAP. I have purchased from him several times and always received gorgeous wood.

Attachments

• sIMG_0198.JPG
    sIMG_0198.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 37
  • sIMG_0199.JPG
    sIMG_0199.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 29
  • sIMG_0200.JPG
    sIMG_0200.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 28
Beautiful blank there. I have to admit that cigar pen style is my favorite. I've got one that I use everyday. It's big and heavy, but seems to work very well.

Nice job Paul! :thumb: :thumb:

Nice Form, Fit and Finish with a nice choice of kit and plating to show off that great looking piece of timber.
Should really be appreciated by the recipient.
Well done Paul!
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Les

Last edited:
Heck, for a pen like that, I'll ramrod your next family reunion. :D

Great job, Paul. I'm sure the pen will be very appreciated. :thumb:

For my short stubby fingers a cigar pen is to bulky. But they are a wonderful way to display the wood as they create such a size that the lines/beauty of the wood can be seen and appreciated. So, was he surprised and just gaga over the pen??? Great job and beautiful pen! :thumb::thumb:

For my short stubby fingers a cigar pen is to bulky. But they are a wonderful way to display the wood as they create such a size that the lines/beauty of the wood can be seen and appreciated. So, was he surprised and just gaga over the pen??? Great job and beautiful pen! :thumb::thumb:

He hasn't received it yet, waiting on my wife to make his wife a neckless.

The cousin really deserves more. Not only does he organize this get together annually, it is held at his grandparents old homestead in Burrville, UT (not even on the map). He has completely rebuilt the old house and constructed a big barn for these events. Plus family is invited to use it anytime they wish. It is an awesome place.

The old house and barn in the background:

sIMG_0036.jpg

Lining up for chow:

sIMG_0046.jpg

Sheep herder's wagon he restored and an old covered wagon:

sIMG_0025.jpg

Burrville, eh?

I've only gone past that town a few times, but my most recent "visit" was last month. Did you happen to be there between July 27 and 30th? If so, I should have waved as I shot past on Hwy 24 / 62.

(See this post to another FW member living not far away -- in Glenwood, UT.)

Burrville, eh?

I've only gone past that town a few times, but my most recent "visit" was last month. Did you happen to be there between July 27 and 30th? If so, I should have waved as I shot past on Hwy 24 / 62.

(See this post to another FW member living not far away -- in Glenwood, UT.)

That's when we were there. Didn't you see me wave! :rolleyes: That is such beautiful country , I plan on going back next year with my RV trailer and spending a few days exploring. He has water and electrical hook ups for the RV's, I tried to convince him to add waste hook-ups.

We went and looked over Fish Lake on the last day, beautiful!

Last edited:
I added a pen for his wife. It is a Zen kit, first one I have done. I like the look, but do not like the magnetic postable cap.

Attachments

• sIMG_0202.JPG
    sIMG_0202.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 11
  • sIMG_0203.JPG
    sIMG_0203.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 11
Very nice Paul. The wifes pen is a beaut with the cap to top it off.

I like them both very much the grain in the burl shows well. :thumb::thumb:

You got a real great family there when you can have a get together that size. :thumb::thumb::thumb: