Whats on you Bench this weekend? 3/2/2007

Jeff Horton

Weekend is upon us again. Mine is starting early.

Lets so what is on your bench this weekend! I will post my photos latter on as I mine should change over the weekend.

Right now, a radio control model plane called a TigerKitten. It's nearly finished and should be ready by the time the *^##ing snow finally clears.

Next up should be some Alaskan Yellow Cedar for a pair of adirondack chairs from the Lee Valley plans. Then {post truncated by galactic supervisor due to absurd length of to-do items}

jeff, thanks for pickin` up the ball-n-runnin` with it......i`ve been trying to run a shop and do installs the last few weeks.......time ain`t on my side right now:eek:

I've got Norm's Tilt Top table in process. I've got the rough center column blank glued up and mounted in the lathe. I'm making the lathe jig for the router to sit on, to make the flats and sliding dove tails for the legs.
I've got the table top glued up. Now I've just pasted the enlargement patters of the table edge curves to a pattern board to make the table top edge. I'm going to cut them with a jig saw, then finish the pattern edge, then get a pattern making router bit and profile the top.
This project, and the jigs necessary, are challenging for me, so I'm going very slowly. Cherry is expensive.
Photos when there's more worth seeing.
Mike

Still working on this corner counter. I sure am SLOW-W-W-W. :rofl: A little while each day will get-er-done sooner or later. :thumb:

CornerCounter_041.jpg

CornerCounter_049.jpg

DT

So far this "weekend" I started my day by sucking out 40 gallons of water from the basement from the rain we had in Atlanta yesterday.

Hope to post picture of completed router table. I just need to get it wired and work on the gadget to push the spindle lock from the side of the table.

More later.

Maple cabinet door parts.

Last edited:
DallasCowboysCLs.jpg

Actually the Cowboys are not my team this year. Most of my family live in Texas so I get one of these calenders every year. They know me well. This year I am a Colts fan, last year I was a Steelers fan and the year before that I was a Buccaneers fan. Does that give you any idea about how I pick my team? No loyality here.

It is going to be undetermined for me this weekend. Been keeping the bench hook on mine for the past week, practicing cutting dovetails by hand (which I can sincerely say I still suck at doing), will probably have miscellaneous mess going on as I am in between real projects.

I may start making the jigs for the chair out of the latest FWW. Been thinking hard about that, rereading the article and playing with the sketchup Dave Richards sent me.

Sorry to be a bit late to the party. Still working on the cabinet for our master bath. This is taking a lot longer than planned!:doh: I'll be posting more to the "Bathroom Cabinet" thread sometime between now and Monday morning.
DSCN0959.JPG

Rennie, your not late! The weekend is far from over. Just now getting around to my photos. This was taken this morning but it has gotten covered up since this photo was taken. My joiners bench hasn't changed much since last week. Lots of part gone across it, just none of them stayed but the shavings are getting deeper. :thumb:

bench1,jpg.jpgbench1.jpg

This is the last of my wifes Christmas. :eek: I am working on the doors right now. Just had to take break and rest my feet.

Jeff
Glad when Christmas is finally finished!

Last edited:
Helped My oldest daughter sand and varnish 3 rooms of hardwood floors the last 2 Saturdays.

On my bench? I have a Shaker hanging mirror. It is right out of Kassay's book of Shaker furniture as is the candle Sconces I made last month. Bought the mirror glass yesterday and will hopefully get in the shop tomorrow to finish it up.

Mac

I did a little more work/play on my ROS disk storage cabinet. I know I could have purchased Rocklers for $15 but this is made of scrap & will end up costing about $3 & in the mean time I've enjoyed building it.

Attachments

• ROS disk storage 006.jpg
    ROS disk storage 006.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 19
Between nit picking on another "forum"..., I assembled my IncraJig router table top setup today. Cut, edged, drilled, mounted. I picked up the mounting board screws/knobs at Rockler as part of their 48" T-track kit on sale for $10.99. I'm using a Bosch 1617 variable speed router.

For now, the top is setting on a table/stand that I just picked up on craigslist. I came with an Incra IntelliFence, predecessor to the Incra WonderFence. It's a very accurate split fence.

The IncraJig table is the offset style, so I have to pull the table out to work.

So, that's what's on my "double decker work bench"...:D

Welcome to the Incra family, Greg. :) I think you're going to like using it. I've got the TS III on my tablesaw/router table, but I use my own-made split fence attached to the Incra TS fence. I can also attach my vertical fence/sled to the Incra TS fence and use it on either the TS or the RT.

No pics of my bench this weekend, since it's not actually being used for working on stuff. Everything's been centered on the lathe this weekend (when I'm not being a nit somewhere else). ;) :rofl:

A local semi-retired cabinetmaker recently wrote a little book on his 60 plus years of woodworking knowledge. One of the many little "jewels" that I got from the book is that a clean shop is a more productive shop.

I have visited his shop on numerous occasions, and he is a fascinating individual with a ton of info to share. His shop is full of older stationary tools from the 40's through the 60's, and every one is is tip-top shape and well maintained. His methods of work are mostly old-school......real mortise and tenon construction on face frames....building his own doors, etc. When I say old-school, I mean that as a high compliment. I feel privileged and honored to know him.

Well.....after reading the book this week, and taking a fresh look at the clutter, I became motivated to do some serious deep-cleaning. So "what is on my bench?" is more accurately phrased "what isn't on my bench?" after Saturday's work.

Today I'll get some sanding/prep work in on the A & C bed frame that I talked about last weekend. When will the sanding end? :(

Here's wishing your weekend is going especially well. :wave:

Arnie

One of the many little "jewels" that I got from the book is that a clean shop is a more productive shop.

WARNING- THREAD DRIFT!

Man, can I ever agree with that. I have been slowly working on that in my shop. My problem has been figuring out where to put things so that
  • They are convenient
  • Easy to get to
  • Easy to put back up

It's just to darn easy to lay it on the bench and let it pile up. Mine is getting better but I still haven't totally decided on where I want my machinery. So I have been hesitant about putting some thing on the wall.

For example I find at my shaper (which I love!!) I am always needeing two wrenches for changing the tooling. I need to find a place to keep the wrenches and tooling that meets the above list. But I am not sure if I am going to keep the shaper where it is or move it. So I do nothing but waste time trying to find where I put he wrenches.

On of the best things I have done was rebuild one of my benches.
finished.jpg

Adding all these drawers was a big job but it has helped so much toward uncluttering my bench. But I still have things laying around that don't have a home and then when I need them I have to figure out where I left them. Thats time wasted.

Arnie, this could make a great thread by itself. Organizing your shop.

END OF THREAD DRIFT

Jeff

Attaching more ash pieces this week end to balusters to bring spacing up to the 4" code. I could use a few more short clamps. The 36" and 50" are a little awkward for this job.

Attachments

• table saw 2-23-07.jpg
    table saw 2-23-07.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 18
  • stair balusters attach 3-4-07.jpg
    stair balusters attach 3-4-07.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 29
  • stair baluster sticks end.jpg
    stair baluster sticks end.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 20