Dewalt 733 Planer Thicknesser Problem

peter nash

Hi. I have retired to the Island of Mallorca in the Mediterranean and Forums are my lifline!! Can anyone help me with a recent problem? The DW733 Planer Thicknesser has a safety "No Volt Off" switch (Green and Red Button) and has worked fine for several years. Suddenly it only works when I am actually holding the green button on - as soon as I release it - it stops. I tried another switch that I know works and exactly the same problem. Motor sounds fine, brushes are as new and it is pretty clean generally. What can I look at? What can I hit?
Thanks in anticipation Peter

Hello Peter and Welcome. The switch you describe sounds like a magnetic switch or at least a voltage-present relay controlled switch. When you say you replaced it with a switch that you know works, was this a 100% replacement? That is; was the actual physical switching mechanism and the relay/mag assembly swapped out?

Last edited:
You may have a faulty overload/overheat reset on the planer.
Look for a reset button and push it. That may fix everything. Or if that is faulty it might need replacing or by-passing (probably not a good idea). My Grizzly planer has an overly sensitive overload switch. When replaced all works well.

Thanks Glenn - yes the swapped out switch was exactly similar (voltage present type). Another member has suggested a possible problem with the overload reset button so that will be my next check. Really appreciate quick response. Good Luck Peter

Dewalt 733 Planer

Peter,

Welcome. Try checking for continuity accross your "stop" switch, with the machine unplugged. If that shows an open circuit, (it should only be open when you push the stop button) the planer will start, and run, as long as you hold it (the start button) on. The stop switch is supposed to hold that circuit closed until you open it by pushing the stop button.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Thanks Tony. After an hour in the local Taverna last night - the "Leetle Grey Cells" they started to work and I am embarrased to say have now resolved the problem. The actual "No Voltage Release" switch was faulty and the replacement I tried had the beginnings of a similar fault. The internal solenoid has two insect like antenna terminals. The original had broken off too short to make a connection and the second was making an intermiitent connection. I just assumed (big mistake) that the second switch would be good. Thanks for your time and good island living. Regards Peter

Thanks Glenn . After an hour in the local Taverna last night - the "Leetle Grey Cells" they started to work and I am embarrased to say have now resolved the problem. You were spot on. The actual "No Voltage Release" switch was faulty and the replacement I tried had the beginnings of a similar fault. The internal solenoid has two insect like antenna terminals. The original had broken off too short to make a connection and the second was making an intermiitent connection. I just assumed (big mistake) that the second switch would be good. Regards Peter

Good to see you found the solution, Peter. :thumb: Sometimes the most simple problems are also the most elusive. By sharing the solution here, you'll likely be helping someone else with a similar problem in the future. ;)