Just getting started

why didnt they have you guys frame it chuck? to me it would have been way more cost effective..

Funny thing is we charge the same price rather we just stand them up or if we have to build them from scratch. The PM thought it would be faster if he bought the kit from the lumber yard. Problem is the lumber yard should keep to selling lumber for builders they are not:doh::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Boy i hate them pre framed walls. I've put up a bunch of them over the years, and can't remember 1 time we didn't have to rework most of them. Good luck i have a feeling your gonna need it.;)

We have a guy that puts out some good panels. Funny thing is he is a framer not a lumber yard. :thumb: Started out framing houses just like all the rest of us. His whole crew now frames houses in a shop instead of out in the snow.:thumb: They do a pretty good job at making panels. But no matter how hard one tries to build a perfect panel there is going to be one that does not fit some where. Or a missing wall backer:doh: At least on this build the lumber yard messed up all the headers. So they are sending someone out to take them all out and replace them. :doh: Now that's a big time saver right there don't ch ya know.:thumb:

Up go the walls. Only got this pic before the camera died. This is a prefab kit from one of the big boys in the area. It well to stay in the CoC was not the best. We had to wait 2 weeks form them to get the walls done. Than they where still building them as we where setting them. We had to wait for the second truck to go back and reload so we could set the last of the exterior and some of the interior and they still didn't have them all:doh: More than once we told the project manager that if he would have just let us stick frame it it would have been done by now.:doh::thumb: He finely did have to tell us to quite picking on him.:rofl: I also had to tell him if this had been the other guy that house would have been sitting in the parking lot across the street three weeks ago. :thumb:
And would have been made in larger size out of all the walls we only had one that was 16 feet long.:doh:
Hey Brent just an FYI for ya all the sheeting is put on standing up.:thumb:

All the sheeting is put on standing up thats not prefab thats just a waste of time & money. I was taught that you square the panel up & sheet it & the sheeting is all part of the integrity of the panel. Dad & I prefabed 2 houses at home in his shop & hauled them 135 miles & set them up they were sheeted had the windows installed & the felt on the sheeting ready for siding. Some we prefabbed had T-111 siding & were also fully sided. Dad at one time was the field engineer for Western Homes & traveled over Washington, Oregon & Idaho setting up prefab homes. We also framed on site with the sheating & felt installed before the wall was set & I never could see any difference in the quality between framing on site or prefabbed.

Dad predicted years ago that they would set sections of houses with helicopters & cranes & they are doing it now days.

Last edited:
Here is my mind blowing question of the day. How is it that someone can get a house energy star certified when they have 9 foot ceiling in most of the house and the ones that are not 9 foot are cathedral.:doh::doh::doh: One of the biggest wastes of wood and other building resources. Not to add the extra cost of fuel to heat all that space that you can't even use. Probably the most expansive way to build a house one can dream up yet because they are using the right window(more $) and the right insulation (again more $) And the right appliances (yes still again more $) they are getting certified. Can anyone one say snow job what a crock of whoie they have dreamed up to part money from people.:doh::doh::huh:
Ok getting off my soap box now.

Last edited:
correct me if i am wrong here:) this house is gonna be energy star rated which means they are gettin a kick back from the gov off there taxes??? and as for the energy savings in time affecting the power companys:rofl::rofl: come on steve if the demand lessens you have to raise your prices on the product to continue your wage that you have grown accustom to.. now this goes for the company not the worker..

come on steve if the demand lessens you have to raise your prices on the product to continue your wage that you have grown accustom to.. now this goes for the company not the worker..

That is where I am going. You might save some for a while, but sooner or later you will be right back where you were. Using less for the same amount.

That is where I am going. You might save some for a while, but sooner or later you will be right back where you were. Using less for the same amount.

Ahh but they don't use less they just think they do.:thumb: Higher ceiling mean more heat. More heat means more fan run time. Also they mean more AC again more fan run time. Now they are going to seal this thing up like a zip lock bag. So that means they need an air exchanger more elec running out the wall :thumb:

Got new batteries for the camera
First two are for Brent. First one is how the panel company put it on. Second is how we do it. Notice the writing and arrows in the bottom of the rectangle.
Third is how we frame windows
Fourth is how they do. Six and seven are so Rob could see the fairway behind the house. Yes that grass back there is the golf course.
The rest are just random pics of the house.

Attachments

• tn_more work 001.JPG
    tn_more work 001.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 58
  • tn_more work 009.JPG
    tn_more work 009.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 52
  • tn_more work 008.JPG
    tn_more work 008.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_more work 007.JPG
    tn_more work 007.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 55
  • tn_more work 006.JPG
    tn_more work 006.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_more work 005.JPG
    tn_more work 005.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_more work 004.JPG
    tn_more work 004.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 58
  • tn_more work 003.JPG
    tn_more work 003.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 58
  • tn_more work 002.JPG
    tn_more work 002.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Chuck i would love to spend a few weeks working with you to learn to frame properly.

Do you also look for the crown in a stud before you use it? So you put it in such a manner that the drywall does not bow?

Well that house is not for me. I aint no golfer and even if i was would not want to live on the golf course or even close to it. :D

First two are for Brent. First one is how the panel company put it on. Second is how we do it. Notice the writing and arrows in the bottom of the rectangle.

Thanks!

Yep, I pulled mine down and redid them sideways.

But I'm afraid I did frame the window more like they did it instead of you... :rofl:

Chuck i would love to spend a few weeks working with you to learn to frame properly.

Do you also look for the crown in a stud before you use it? So you put it in such a manner that the drywall does not bow?

Well that house is not for me. I aint no golfer and even if i was would not want to live on the golf course or even close to it. :D

Floor joists, rafters and ceiling overlays get crowned.:thumb: Studs go in as they fall and the ones that stick out of the wall in a month get cut out and replaced.:thumb:

A bit more work done.

Attachments

• tn_truss 009.JPG
    tn_truss 009.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 44
  • tn_truss 008.JPG
    tn_truss 008.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 43
  • tn_truss 007.JPG
    tn_truss 007.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 44
  • tn_truss 006.JPG
    tn_truss 006.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_truss 005.JPG
    tn_truss 005.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 45
  • tn_truss 004.JPG
    tn_truss 004.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_truss 003.JPG
    tn_truss 003.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 47
  • tn_truss 002.JPG
    tn_truss 002.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_truss 001.JPG
    tn_truss 001.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_truss 010.JPG
    tn_truss 010.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 40
As much as i hate trusses,they look like they did a good job with them. What's the pitch on them? I'm guessing a 10/12. I wish we could get us a nice average sized house ounce in awhile. I'm so tired of being on a house over 2 years.:(
I've been with Perry for just over 3 years and we've built 2 houses and a addition. havn't missed a day of work in that time. I want some of them little jobs were i can frame 2 houses a week.:) you know 1000, 1200 sq ft. on a slab.
looking real good by the way.:thumb:

As much as i hate trusses,they look like they did a good job with them.

All depends on what one calls a good job:doh::rofl:
The truss in the last pic is a total of 8" to short and out of the plane of the other ones by 3" . The pencil pusher out smarted him self buy making the wall it sits on taller and shrinking the truss. He missed just a bit:doh: If you look at the pic of the end of the garage you can see a gap between the truss and the ply. again he out smarted him self making the gable truss shorter for the ladder bracing. The detail calls out a 2x flat from the first truss back over the gable truss out to the ladder. Sounds good except he missed by a 1/2". ending up to tall for the 2x to fit over the top. Funny thing is this house has all of these gables on it and the garage is the only one that he felt needed extra support for the ladder. :dunno::dunno::dunno:
Another cool thing is that big girter truss for the ridge is only 2 1/5" to short:doh: The guys nailing it together did us a big favor also. It has 4 1/2" bolts that hold it on on each end. Yup 2 of the holes have truss plates over them. And the 2 that we could get to to drill had as many as 4 nails in each hole to drill through. :doh: Only junked 3 bits getting them drilled.:thumb::thumb:
Almost forgot the valley trusses guy has them laid out for 24" OC but can't do math to save him self. The one that is done they ended up 27" apart in order to fit in plane.:thumb:

Last edited:
And yes 10/12:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Did I say that when they hit the button back at the shop it count got doubled on the main house. So we now have enough trusses to build another 30 by 38 building.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I agree with Larry...that's a lot of wood. Sorry to see you're having to deal with designers who've never actually had to build one of their designs. :rolleyes: I'll bet it's gonna be nice by the time you guys get done with it.

Thanks Chuck I had forgotten all about the truss nightmares from all the custom homes that I have worked on. Seems that the truss guys there have the same issues there as we have here. I don't think I have worked on one place that did not have something wrong with the truss's or the plans on how the truss's were suppose to go together. Or getting the wrong package for the wrong house. Or not getting certain truss packages and not realizing it till you are in the middle of the build. Nothing like a good reminder as to why I am glad that I don't have to deal with it anymore. Wishing you luck getting this all straightened out. :thumb:

We had a realization today. It's not the designer he just pushes the button. It's the truss software. :thumb::thumb:
See Brent your fault.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Ok so maybe you didn't wright the truss program but it's still funny.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: