Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just getting started

Rob First pic right over the deck on the left side. Yes that is a red house. Hard to tell from the pics but behind the house is a golf course. And the neighbors in the development well lets just say they are not the friendliest bunch you ever meet. Rules rules rules and everyone is watching to make sure that the rules don't get broken. If you leave your car parked on the side of the road for more than an hour expect a visit from security. He's a nice enough guy and you can tell he just hates having to come bust our chops but he shows up anyways.
    Steve is bigger than a bread box
    Jonathan I can not really give an opinion on them out side of they are nice to install. Also I don't get to make the call on what materials go into the house that is all up to the guy who designed it.
    Larry we are doing every thing that has to do with wood.
    Darren most house foundation are to be capped before back filling. For some reason the engineers think that the floor system is going to keep the walls from caving in This being a walk out basement it had to be built to keep the dirt out on it's own so they could back fill it almost as soon as the forms came off.
    Yes Vaughn this is a shed thread.I have been told we have a 6600 square foot roof that is to be stripped and have cedar shakes put on. I belive the roof on this one is around 3000 SQF so compared to the next job in the que this is a shed.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Rules rules rules and everyone is watching to make sure that the rules don't get broken.

Im sure glad I live in a place that doesnt worry about rules.

Ooops sorry Chuck missed that in he pic. This sounds like just the place i dont want to live.

Hey when you put down the subfloor do you put construction adhesive on the joists. Then do you nail or screw them in?
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Im sure glad I live in a place that doesnt worry about rules.
    I don't care who you are, that's funny stuff right there.

Chuck - only 6,600 square feet? Don't they have any big houses out there? (I'd sure hate to do roof work on one that size.) We've worked in a few that were over 15,000 sf, but I'm holding out for the call to install artwork for the new owners of the Spelling place in Holmsby Hills. I figure 56,500 sf should keep us busy for a couple of days.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    I have heard horror stories on those I joists delaminating due to moisture from basements. Evidently you are a believer in them?
    Use them all the time here on the west coast and have never heard of any of them delaminating. They are a good sound product that allow far greater spans than conventional lumber. A real bugger to walk on though. Interesting chuck that they make you cap it before back filling. never heard of that before. Does that have to do maybe because you are only back filling one side? Don't see any foundation seal. How do you water proof your foundations there?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Use them all the time here on the west coast and have never heard of any of them delaminating. They are a good sound product that allow far greater spans than conventional lumber. A real bugger to walk on though. Interesting chuck that they make you cap it before back filling. never heard of that before. Does that have to do maybe because you are only back filling one side? Don't see any foundation seal. How do you water proof your foundations there?
    They only want you to cap the full foundations (Engineers go figure) And yes I would say they are guessing that with the cap on the load the dirt puts on the outside of the wall will be transferred to the other wall. I'm not buying it though. I'm on the if the concrete wall is not going to hold out the dirt by it's self then Huston we got a problem.
    And yes it has seal and foam board on it. You just can't see it through the dirt.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 09-02-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Stupid hurts.

Up go the walls. Only got this pic before the camera died. This is a prefab kit from one of the big boys in the area. It well to stay in the CoC was not the best. We had to wait 2 weeks form them to get the walls done. Than they where still building them as we where setting them. We had to wait for the second truck to go back and reload so we could set the last of the exterior and some of the interior and they still didn't have them all More than once we told the project manager that if he would have just let us stick frame it it would have been done by now. He finely did have to tell us to quite picking on him. I also had to tell him if this had been the other guy that house would have been sitting in the parking lot across the street three weeks ago.
    And would have been made in larger size out of all the walls we only had one that was 16 feet long.
    Hey Brent just an FYI for ya all the sheeting is put on standing up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_cart3 001.JPG  
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Hey Brent just an FYI for ya all the sheeting is put on standing up.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

why didnt they have you guys frame it chuck? to me it would have been way more cost effective..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Boy i hate them pre framed walls. I've put up a bunch of them over the years, and can't remember 1 time we didn't have to rework most of them. Good luck i have a feeling your gonna need it.