Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just getting started

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    why didnt they have you guys frame it chuck? to me it would have been way more cost effective..
    Funny thing is we charge the same price rather we just stand them up or if we have to build them from scratch. The PM thought it would be faster if he bought the kit from the lumber yard. Problem is the lumber yard should keep to selling lumber for builders they are not
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Boy i hate them pre framed walls. I've put up a bunch of them over the years, and can't remember 1 time we didn't have to rework most of them. Good luck i have a feeling your gonna need it.
    We have a guy that puts out some good panels. Funny thing is he is a framer not a lumber yard. Started out framing houses just like all the rest of us. His whole crew now frames houses in a shop instead of out in the snow. They do a pretty good job at making panels. But no matter how hard one tries to build a perfect panel there is going to be one that does not fit some where. Or a missing wall backer At least on this build the lumber yard messed up all the headers. So they are sending someone out to take them all out and replace them. Now that's a big time saver right there don't ch ya know.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Up go the walls. Only got this pic before the camera died. This is a prefab kit from one of the big boys in the area. It well to stay in the CoC was not the best. We had to wait 2 weeks form them to get the walls done. Than they where still building them as we where setting them. We had to wait for the second truck to go back and reload so we could set the last of the exterior and some of the interior and they still didn't have them all More than once we told the project manager that if he would have just let us stick frame it it would have been done by now. He finely did have to tell us to quite picking on him. I also had to tell him if this had been the other guy that house would have been sitting in the parking lot across the street three weeks ago.
    And would have been made in larger size out of all the walls we only had one that was 16 feet long.
    Hey Brent just an FYI for ya all the sheeting is put on standing up.
    All the sheeting is put on standing up thats not prefab thats just a waste of time & money. I was taught that you square the panel up & sheet it & the sheeting is all part of the integrity of the panel. Dad & I prefabed 2 houses at home in his shop & hauled them 135 miles & set them up they were sheeted had the windows installed & the felt on the sheeting ready for siding. Some we prefabbed had T-111 siding & were also fully sided. Dad at one time was the field engineer for Western Homes & traveled over Washington, Oregon & Idaho setting up prefab homes. We also framed on site with the sheating & felt installed before the wall was set & I never could see any difference in the quality between framing on site or prefabbed.

Dad predicted years ago that they would set sections of houses with helicopters & cranes & they are doing it now days.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 09-11-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Here is my mind blowing question of the day. How is it that someone can get a house energy star certified when they have 9 foot ceiling in most of the house and the ones that are not 9 foot are cathedral. One of the biggest wastes of wood and other building resources. Not to add the extra cost of fuel to heat all that space that you can't even use. Probably the most expansive way to build a house one can dream up yet because they are using the right window(more $) and the right insulation (again more $) And the right appliances (yes still again more $) they are getting certified. Can anyone one say snow job what a crock of whoie they have dreamed up to part money from people.
    Ok getting off my soap box now.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 09-13-2011 at 12:29 AM.
    Stupid hurts.

Wait until they figure out all this savings of electricity is going to do to the power distributors. Another big rip off.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

correct me if i am wrong here this house is gonna be energy star rated which means they are gettin a kick back from the gov off there taxes??? and as for the energy savings in time affecting the power companys come on steve if the demand lessens you have to raise your prices on the product to continue your wage that you have grown accustom to.. now this goes for the company not the worker..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    come on steve if the demand lessens you have to raise your prices on the product to continue your wage that you have grown accustom to.. now this goes for the company not the worker..
    That is where I am going. You might save some for a while, but sooner or later you will be right back where you were. Using less for the same amount.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    That is where I am going. You might save some for a while, but sooner or later you will be right back where you were. Using less for the same amount.
    Ahh but they don't use less they just think they do. Higher ceiling mean more heat. More heat means more fan run time. Also they mean more AC again more fan run time. Now they are going to seal this thing up like a zip lock bag. So that means they need an air exchanger more elec running out the wall
    Stupid hurts.

Got new batteries for the camera
    First two are for Brent. First one is how the panel company put it on. Second is how we do it. Notice the writing and arrows in the bottom of the rectangle.
    Third is how we frame windows
    Fourth is how they do. Six and seven are so Rob could see the fairway behind the house. Yes that grass back there is the golf course.
    The rest are just random pics of the house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_more work 001.JPG   tn_more work 002.JPG   tn_more work 003.JPG   tn_more work 004.JPG   tn_more work 005.JPG  

tn_more work 006.JPG   tn_more work 007.JPG   tn_more work 008.JPG   tn_more work 009.JPG  
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 09-13-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    Stupid hurts.

Chuck i would love to spend a few weeks working with you to learn to frame properly.

Do you also look for the crown in a stud before you use it? So you put it in such a manner that the drywall does not bow?

Well that house is not for me. I aint no golfer and even if i was would not want to live on the golf course or even close to it.
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"