Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just getting started

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    First two are for Brent. First one is how the panel company put it on. Second is how we do it. Notice the writing and arrows in the bottom of the rectangle.
    Thanks!

Yep, I pulled mine down and redid them sideways.

But I'm afraid I did frame the window more like they did it instead of you...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Chuck i would love to spend a few weeks working with you to learn to frame properly.

Do you also look for the crown in a stud before you use it? So you put it in such a manner that the drywall does not bow?

Well that house is not for me. I aint no golfer and even if i was would not want to live on the golf course or even close to it.
    Floor joists, rafters and ceiling overlays get crowned. Studs go in as they fall and the ones that stick out of the wall in a month get cut out and replaced.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

A bit more work done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_truss 001.JPG   tn_truss 002.JPG   tn_truss 003.JPG   tn_truss 004.JPG   tn_truss 005.JPG  

tn_truss 006.JPG   tn_truss 007.JPG   tn_truss 008.JPG   tn_truss 009.JPG   tn_truss 010.JPG  

Stupid hurts.

theres alot of trees in those trusses chuck.. and it looks like they planned on your snow loads up there
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    As much as i hate trusses,they look like they did a good job with them. What's the pitch on them? I'm guessing a 10/12. I wish we could get us a nice average sized house ounce in awhile. I'm so tired of being on a house over 2 years.
    I've been with Perry for just over 3 years and we've built 2 houses and a addition. havn't missed a day of work in that time. I want some of them little jobs were i can frame 2 houses a week. you know 1000, 1200 sq ft. on a slab.
    looking real good by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    As much as i hate trusses,they look like they did a good job with them.
    All depends on what one calls a good job
    The truss in the last pic is a total of 8" to short and out of the plane of the other ones by 3" . The pencil pusher out smarted him self buy making the wall it sits on taller and shrinking the truss. He missed just a bit If you look at the pic of the end of the garage you can see a gap between the truss and the ply. again he out smarted him self making the gable truss shorter for the ladder bracing. The detail calls out a 2x flat from the first truss back over the gable truss out to the ladder. Sounds good except he missed by a 1/2". ending up to tall for the 2x to fit over the top. Funny thing is this house has all of these gables on it and the garage is the only one that he felt needed extra support for the ladder.
    Another cool thing is that big girter truss for the ridge is only 2 1/5" to short The guys nailing it together did us a big favor also. It has 4 1/2" bolts that hold it on on each end. Yup 2 of the holes have truss plates over them. And the 2 that we could get to to drill had as many as 4 nails in each hole to drill through. Only junked 3 bits getting them drilled.
    Almost forgot the valley trusses guy has them laid out for 24" OC but can't do math to save him self. The one that is done they ended up 27" apart in order to fit in plane.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 09-27-2011 at 01:37 AM.
    Stupid hurts.

And yes 10/12
    Did I say that when they hit the button back at the shop it count got doubled on the main house. So we now have enough trusses to build another 30 by 38 building.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 09-27-2011 at 01:39 AM.
    Stupid hurts.

I agree with Larry...that's a lot of wood. Sorry to see you're having to deal with designers who've never actually had to build one of their designs. I'll bet it's gonna be nice by the time you guys get done with it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Chuck I had forgotten all about the truss nightmares from all the custom homes that I have worked on. Seems that the truss guys there have the same issues there as we have here. I don't think I have worked on one place that did not have something wrong with the truss's or the plans on how the truss's were suppose to go together. Or getting the wrong package for the wrong house. Or not getting certain truss packages and not realizing it till you are in the middle of the build. Nothing like a good reminder as to why I am glad that I don't have to deal with it anymore. Wishing you luck getting this all straightened out.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

We had a realization today. It's not the designer he just pushes the button. It's the truss software.
    See Brent your fault.
    Ok so maybe you didn't wright the truss program but it's still funny.
    Stupid hurts.