A classic saw with eye appeal

Wow, wonder what it is?

Could it be some kind of a flooring saw?

I have a small Japanese saw that has a VERY curved blade, it is only about 3" long, but it is VERY curved, and is for making a cut in the middle of a board, like a plunge cut.

Neat old saw for sure!:thumb:

It's a flooring saw alright - flooring and siding. The curved blade (can we call this a heavily breasted saw, Mike W ?) gives clearance and allows you to start a cut in a flat surface. I'm not saying that a pruning saw that shape doesn't exist, but it would need much coarser teeth.

Here's a similar one with a larger photo that Google turned up for me. I'm guessing the quote is from a Bishop catalog.

SIDING AND FLOORING SAW. Manufactured by George H. Bishop & Co., Lawrenceburg, Ind., USA. "Especially designed for cutting openings in sidings and flooring. A handy saw for repair work. Extra Quality--Warranted."

Attachments

• Bishop saw.JPG
    Bishop saw.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 12
That's very cool. Ian. That's the first saw I recall seeing with teeth on the top of the blade like that. (Is that part called the top?)

Yep, neat one Ian.

I've been asked to make one or two but haven't. I've used one a couple times. Not bad, but a bit of work until one can take a stroke.

Take care, Mike

I used one once when I was a kid - really young. I can't remember who's house I was in. Anyway, I had a little turn at it and I remember thinking "This must be what a rat feels like when he chews through the floor."(The first school I went to had tin patches on all the floors from where the rats chewed it up.)