Circular Saw Edge Guide Ripper

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, you may or may not remember the previous incarnation of my edge guide ripper. It was really rudimentary but made quick work of breaking down sheet goods for use in making shelves and cabinets.

In the October 2011 issue of Wood Magazine, they had something pretty similar, but way more useful, so I went ahead and made myself one.

I used some leftover vinyl faced hardboard that I used on my garage counter tops and some plywood and a chunk of 2x4. But now it's much easier to setup.

I had bought some of that Red Tape and used that to put a measuring rule on it.

Still rudimentary, but it should work pretty well.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-4284.jpg
    FWW-4284.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 254
Ok you got me confused but that aint hard to do. I seem to be getting dumber as i get older.

When we have discussed ripping a piece of ply we always talked of items like track saws etc and Steve showed his version of the guide.

But you look like you getting geared for cross cutting with that jig yet you have it on a table saw. Why would you want to rip down to small widths without using your table saw for a good and accurate edge. :dunno:

Ok you got me confused but that aint hard to do. I seem to be getting dumber as i get older.

When we have discussed ripping a piece of ply we always talked of items like track saws etc and Steve showed his version of the guide.

But you look like you getting geared for cross cutting with that jig yet you have it on a table saw. Why would you want to rip down to small widths without using your table saw for a good and accurate edge. :dunno:

Not cross cutting, but ripping. So I can cut a 16" (or whatever) strip of ply without setting up a track saw or manhandling a piece of 4'x8' ply on the table saw.

It works well for cutting pieces to a manageable size. For things like shop cabs, drawers, etc... Not sure I'd use this on high dollar ply, but with a nicer blade maybe. By it's nature, it's got a zero clearance throat on the blade.

The fence can be set to whatever width you want, and you simply use it to cut a strip of the ply.

The only reason it's on the tablesaw is I have another project consuming the other available flat surfaces... :D

But since it's ply, there's no reason you couldn't use it for cross cutting it.

It's just a piece of wood with a saw strapped to it and a fence... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Since I don't get Wood magazine, I hadn't seen that jig. Looks very handy...I'll log that idea for future use.

Got a chance to test it out today and it works pretty good.

It's not a precision tool, but it makes quick work of things. You just have to make sure you don't have any toe out on it. A couple of whacks with a hammer helps to make sure things are 'aligned' properly... :thumb: