Forgive me for I lust............

Turning is an addiction. A few months ago, one of my customers spouse became a dealer of mine. He supplies that which feeds my addiction. Tuesday my dealer called and told me that the large burly maple tree in his Dad's front yard was coming down on Thursday. I called Woodcraft in Spokane Wednesday morning and bought some sealer and had a courier service pick it up.Wednesday afternoon it was on my door step. Cost me $10 for same day service and it's 110 miles away. Couldn't drive it in my wifes Honda for that. I'd been driving by looking at this burly monster for several months. Yesterday it came down............Check this out. I sure wished I had a bigger lathe!

Burly1.jpg

Burly_0.jpg

Burly_1.jpg

Forgive me for I lust!

Ken, get as much of that as you can!!

build, borrow or buy a chainsaw mill, anything too big, cut it up for lumber but leave it THICK and you can still turn a LOT out of it, maybe even figure a way to sell some and BUY that darn bigger lathe! :D

The wood, once cut up and sealed will wait for the bigger lathe, don't let the lathe you have now limit the take!

GREAT gloat!

Stu......I'm working but Mike is going for the big boy today. He's got a Stihl 076? IIRC with a 40" bar. He's going to slab it and seal it. That's the only way he thought he'd get the weight down to a level that he could load it.

Mr. Fitzgerald we can't have you lusting like that on a family forum.:eek: :eek: So load it up, get to Steve Ash and myself. We will dispose of it for you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

good idea Bernie...I don't mind sharing at all.

...tell ya what Ken, I'll even send ya a couple of bucks to cover shipping to Bernie's and my place.....

We just hate to see you lusting so badly and want to really help you out.

A matter of perspective

It's incredible how large that main crotch burl is. ......Here's a photo of my local wood "pusher" who feeds my addiction.......The bar on his large saw is 42" IIRC.......check out the size of that burl.....his saw will NOT cut through it as he's slabbing it for me....

bog boy2 (2).jpg

Ken , You suck. I wish I had some big chuncks of tree to cut up. Besides makeing turning blanks you can make some really nice boards that would really look nice on some projects. Good luck with it.

You start talking about dealers and addictions and I pictured some guy in a black Cadillac Escalade with spinny wheels and black tinted glass showing you burls (the good stuff). That guy looks like a regular good old Paul Bunyan type. But he does have the good stuff.

Hey Ken, where's you find the little short guy to stand next to the logs with those 18" chain saws?

That looks like a great haul Ken. I'd hate to see you damage that Jet Mini...I think you should let me test some of that on my Sears lathe first.

Sweet, Really Sweet!!!

Hello Ken,

What a beautiful tree! Around here, we have lots of Pine and Oak,:( not a burly tree in sight.:eek: I would have to pull out my Stihl with the 5' bar for that bad boy...:D :D :D

You will have lots of super timber there for your projects. Remember this redheaded turner in Texas when you turn a few pieces. I'll be working on some boring, bland and near colorless Hackberry and Elm and dreaming of that bad boy! Take care and best wishes.

P.S. Any houses for sale up there? Maybe I should move...;)