Need hardware (slide) help

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Now that the plan is final and I've actually started working on it (glued up the top this evening) I need to get the right hardware. I had thought there might be something available in a downsized pantry glide except; a. the don't come this short, and, b. no way I'm paying over $150 a pair!:eek::eek::rofl:

So, I was thinking that I might get 1 pair of Blumotion under-mount slides and one pair of side mount slides. I'd break up the pairs and put one undermount and one side mount on each drawer.

Anything wrong with my plan?
Stickly Style TV Cab 9 drawer.jpg

I just used a pair of side mount slides on our spice pull out.
09-2-2011 001.JPG09-2-2011 002.JPG

I got these from Grizzly. They are soft close full extension 100 lb capacity.

Did the same for a shop fixture. Been working for years ( the pic is from back in '07) in a not so clean environment.

Attachments

• TS-Overview1-Jan-07.jpg
    TS-Overview1-Jan-07.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 39
The horror! Is that, I can't even bring myself to say it. Is that... Saw dust in one of Glenns pictures! The Horror! :eek:

:rofl:

The horror! Is that, I can't even bring myself to say it. Is that... Saw dust in one of Glenns pictures! The Horror!

Isnt that the picture that came in the frame? :rofl::rofl:

Rennie I would use a pair of undermounts and one side mount.
Do you use Hafele at all? www.hafele.com.
They should have exactly what you need.
They are also a great resource for pre made drawer boxes. (they have become the only thing I outsource. I can get a dovetailed prefinished hard maple drawer box for about 40 to 50 dollars. machined for my choice of slides, I can't come close to making them for that)

I get a lot of my hardware from them and lately I have been using the accuride eclipse undermounts. I like them alot better than the blum's which I used for years. Pricing is in the same range but the accurides come in a bit less. they are friendlier to work with and have more flexibility in adjustment.
and they come complete in the package, slides, clips AND screws.

I use just two side mount slides at the most even for tall pull outs. Using an undermount and a side mount on the same unit could make it difficult to remove or insert. There's a certain amount of lash, which is an amount of play, either vertical, or horizontal for each type of slide. So with a bottom/side arrangement, there's no happy medium.

I just use two side mounts, and space them equally. Check out the prices here for a good deal on slides.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

As I understand it you are going to fill these drawers with CDs and DVDs. To me that will be too much weight to even consider not using glides. You stated, "a. They don't make them that short."

Try San Diego Hardware. They are a real, honest to god, hardware store. I believe that they carry over 10,000 knobs, pulls, etc. If you need a screw that is 1/4 with a 19 tpi, they probably have it. Myrna goes crazy when she gets in there. They are the most complete hardware store I have ever seen.

The store has been in business for a very long time (over a hundred years I think).

Anyway, they have hardware out the ying-yang. Won't hurt to ask.
I think I would bet my life that someone makes the glides you need.
In case I die because of this statement, you might try a couple 3/4 inch wide strips of Teflon or UHMD on the wood under the drawers. At least you would have some slippery. However, I would search hard for glides.

Enjoy,
Jim