Thread: Cork stuck to wood surface

Cork stuck to wood surface

I found this forum googling for some advice. I've just noticed that a trivet (basically a single ceramic/glass like tile with a cork back) has stuck itself to the lovely white wood surface of my credenza/wall unit. I had a plant sitting on the trivet. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have re how to release the trivet without ruining the finish on the wood surface. I haven't budged it so far. Tried just a little vasoline around the edges, but to no avail.
    Thanks for any help.

Hi Judie, and welcome aboard. You mentioned your credenza is white...I'm assuming it's painted? As long as it's not bare, unfinished wood, you should be able to get the trivet off without causing any damage, but there's always a chance that it's already damaged underneath the cork.

Anyway, to get the trivet off, I'd suggest puddling a bit of soapy water (using something like Murphy's Oil Soap, a mild dishwashing detergent, or Simple Green) around the edges and letting it soak a few minutes before trying to work it off. Unfortunately, the Vaseline is likely to prevent the soap and water from soaking in, but I think if you can get some soap worked under the cork it'll start to loosen up what's sticking it. Once the trivet is loose, the thorough cleaning with the soapy solution should clean up any remaining residue. At that point, you'll be able to see if the finish on the credenza is messed up. The soapy water shouldn't do any damage itself, though.

But that's just my off-the-hip thoughts. Before you do anything, you should see what other suggestions show up. We have some members who know a lot more about furniture finishes than I do.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Success!

Thanks for your suggestion Vaughn. Just thought I'd let you know that before I saw it I tried something else that was suggested to me by some furniture restorers - similar to your suggestion. I sprayed Pam (they said any non abrasive oily thing would do) around the edges of the trivet. Then used a plastic/rubber spatula and worked it carefully around and under the edges. Didn't take very long before I heard the trivet release. Removed gently - and no visible damage to the surface finish! yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Judie Guy View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion Vaughn. Just thought I'd let you know that before I saw it I tried something else that was suggested to me by some furniture restorers - similar to your suggestion. I sprayed Pam (they said any non abrasive oily thing would do) around the edges of the trivet. Then used a plastic/rubber spatula and worked it carefully around and under the edges. Didn't take very long before I heard the trivet release. Removed gently - and no visible damage to the surface finish! yay!
    Yay is right. Glad to see it worked out for you.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

thanks for telling us another fix for it now we knew there was more than one way to skin that cat
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!