WIP-Another Kitchen Island, but with butcher block top.

Bryan Cowing

Legs were turned back in June, and some work on the cabinet, but sat idle till today, just been too hot this summer. I turned the little window a/c on, at 6 am, in hopes it would cool the shop. I did manage to get the rails and stiles done for the 4 rp doors. A few pics!
IMG_4650.JPG

IMG_4833-1.JPG

IMG_4835.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

Brian i went and looked at you pics on the web to see how you did the legs. Am i correct in understanding that you laminated the ash to a square from what looks like around 1 inch thick boards. ?

Brian i went and looked at you pics on the web to see how you did the legs. Am i correct in understanding that you laminated the ash to a square from what looks like around 1 inch thick boards. ?
Yes, from some air dried 5/4 ash I bought last fall. I made them 1/8" oversize or so, trimmed on the jointer to remove corner chip out. Then touch up on lathe, going to do this method from now on. The 1st island , for the wife, I used filler in the chip out.
IMG_4641.JPG
IMG_4643.JPG
Got the doors finished, laid them over the opening.
IMG_4846.JPG

Last edited:
you must have a nice size kitchen bryan you can fit two of those islands.
For our #2 son, he's now 38, does a lot of cooking, and has been wanting some sort of butcher's block. The old butcher store maple cutting blocks command a lot of $$ here. Once he seen his mom's island, thought that would be awesome as a butcher block, but 2 inches shorter in height.

Got started on the top. I am gluing up 3 sections approx. 15" x 30" so they will fit though the planer, then glue them together for a final length near 43".
The glue up is made from 6/4 maple off cuts , 2 to 3" in width, got a good bunch of them for a $100. I cut them 22" long, plane and glue up to make a 30"+ in width. Cut those in half at 11", plane and cut again to 5 & 1/4". The two glue ups I did have yielded 11" of end grain top, so I still got a lot of planing and jointing to do to get enough for 43".:)
IMG_4858-1.JPG

IMG_4859.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG

After working all day in the shop, 7 am till 8 pm I now have 38"+ inches of width and 2 strips short. My Maple is almost gone! I'm finding all the shorts, anything thats 11" long to try and make the last two strips to reach the 41" mark, thats' to have 1& 1/2 inch overhang +or-. I can see why butcher block tables cost so much, it's a lot of WORK!
:coolphotos:
IMG_4862.JPG

at 7 am, before my day job starts, I glued up 10 strips, and at noon I took a few passes with the planer to make it 5". I eased one end with a large 3/4 radius router bit first, so no blow out exiting the planer. I now have the second batch in clamps.
IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4865.JPG