been busy....

Dan Noren

Staff member
now that the wife's :blah: nose is healing up nicely, i've returned to the shopt to work on these prototypes. :bliss: then its on to the batches of honey ale:beer:and vanilla cinnamon mead...:bounce:

Attachments

• prototype mkI.jpg
    prototype mkI.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 55
  • prototype mk II.jpg
    prototype mk II.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 55
  • prototype mk III.jpg
    prototype mk III.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 55
Like #1 Best --- I really like it!!!
#2 is fine
#3 is too busy for me.

And if the votes were counted right now---Number One Is The Winner!!!

Enjoy,

Jim

That's what I like about voting or critiquing early---percentage wise my vote/opinion really counts.

Enjoy and have fun with it,

Jim

Dano, I think your number one , the menorah could be a hit. the third one is way too busy, too much work.(Just my opinion, if I didnt offer an honest opinion this would be a waste of time)
get it out first, so you can advertise it on the internet well in advance, and I think if you keep the prices reasonable, you could get some hits on it.
what constrating woods you gonna use?
From a visual standpoint, I would raise the center candle block a tiny bit more, maybe another 1/4-1/2 inch.
Looks great.
Are the candle cup holders for the standard size chanukah candle? I think its a 5/8th, ???

the second one, are you putting the votive glass in there?

I think just teallights would be a nice seller also.(But knockout the menorah first since its already sept. and people need time to look around to shop)

Last edited:
allen, they will be hickory with walnut legs. the riser on the menorah will be walnut as well. too late, i've already glued them down. the bases are about 3/4" thick, and the risers are 1/4" thick. i picked up some candle cups, and they are about a cat whisker and a half too wide for the candles i'm using. i looked all over the place, and wound up buying the candles from some outfit that imports them from Israel. i don't know if my handling them dekosherizes them, but they were kosher when i bought them. the holders will be 3/8" grommets, they fit the candles just right. there are enough in the box to supply candles for each menorah i'm making. the other is a kwanzaa candle holder, with 7/8" holders. the last one is an advent candle holder, based on the jerusalem cross. the main arms will be walnut, and the smaller ones hickory. when i have more time off, i'll be making sets of xmas trees too, so i'll be pretty much covered. i'll be including fire hazard cards with each of them. then it will be on to pen and bottle stopper turning. i'm all out of pens and pencils...

I made a four candle version of your #2 several years ago. It has cherry legs and a curly maple 'table' surface.

BTW, it isn't/wasn't a unique design. Something very similar was published in Woodsmith magazine, maybe three years ago.

The raised center candle in #1 needs to be a bit higher - maybe make the pedestal for it in two steps - the first on maybe half an inch and twice as wide as the second one, which should be maybe three-quartes of an inch.

I don't care for the third one at all.

help me out here,,,:huh::huh::huh: does candle holders sell that well??? i cant imagine getting enough for one to be made let alone making a batch of them..in my world, candles arent even on the list. let alone have a waiting list to get more.. but maybe thats why i am in the country and not elswhere..:)

I use 8x8 1.5-2 inch thick blocks and make simple 12 holder tealights.
I dont sell them, but Ive made at least 3 dozen the past year or so and have requests for more.(a cousin of mine who is an art teacher, keeps asking me to make her a bunch so she can sell them in arts and crafts fairs)
Alot of people like to burn the scented votives and tealights.

I used to employ a young woman, 22, who arranges and holds partylite(Im not sure how the company spells it) parties, and she does well for a part time gig.(it was her catalog that gave me the tealight holder idea)

My wife has the entire cabinet section of the coffee table I built filled with candles, mostly tealights and votives.
She burns the scented ones almost every day.

Last edited:
Dan i agree with the comments about the third one i dont like it too busy.

Good idea to add to your store.:thumb::thumb:

Larry candles as a rule are huge business. Especially all the sented fancy ones. The corporations have enough sales of candles to justify continuous marketing on tv here. :)

Dan i would look into one thing particular when you make something like this with the intention of sale.

Check on your flate rate box sizes of us postal sizes for rectangular containers. Sometimes a inch or so can make the difference in a price jump on the shipping.;)

larry-only what my wife keeps handy for daily use.
I made her agree not to burn more than one or two scented tealights if the temps are over 85 degrees outside.
the 3 wooden ones I made that stayed on that table are gone, people like them, she gives them one.
Im not sure how big the candle market is, but I know my wife and daughter and my daughters friends burn candles almost every day they are home.

Attachments

• kitchen makeover 099 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 099 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 7
i liked that design in woodsmith jim, but i shortened it a bit, narrowed it a bit, and didn't waste the time cutting it down the middle, and putting it back together again. i would have made that center cut about 3/8" deep, and called it a day. most who have seen the third design pretty much like it. a jerusalem cross without the other crosses is just a greek cross. the center cross is walnut, and the others are hickory.