Best drill bit for end grain boring?

Matt Ducar

Not really a "woodworking" question of the usual variety:

I had two pine trees removed at the beginning of the summer. I want to drill some holes into the stumps & add some sodium metabisulfite to help break things down.

The woodworking portion of this question is what kind of drill bit is best for drilling into end grain wood? I figure my paddle style bit isn't going to be the best option, but I'm not sure what style bit I should try.

Anyone have some experience to share?

Any twist bit or auger should do fine. Depends on how large you want to drill the holes. Twist are fine up to a half inch then you may want to go with an auger bit.

Antique shops are your friend. :D
Find a brace and look for an auger bit about 3/4" or larger.
I have several with a couple that have extended length.
I almost sold all my Neander stuff but find I'm still reaching for this stuff about once or twice a year.

Thanks for the tip on using the auger bit rather than a twist bit -- wasn't sure which would be better. Swung by the new HF store and got a 3 piece auger bit set that has a 1" bit for under $20.

Wouldn't C3N3H5O9 be faster? :rolleyes: :rofl:

I thought about using C6H2(NO2)3CH3 but then decided it wouldn't be faster.

I figured it would take about an hour to place the charge and remove the stump.

Then there would be the getting arrested, court hearings, lawyer fees, & otherwise dealing with the aftermath. :D:D

The stump would probably have rotted away on its own before I got done with the mess created :rofl::rofl::rofl: