Smoking Ribs - Just like my great great grandaddy did

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
If he had a closed feedback loop computerized temperature control module attached to his weber kettle grill..

It's working ok. My old thermometer is reading a little high, but it's maintaining a pretty darn steady temp.

Took a peek a while ago and things are looking pretty good.

I've got a few things I'll do different next time to make things work a little better, but I'm happy with it..

http://pitmasteriq.com/iQue-110.html

I did have to make a few fire starters out of some planer shavings and some paraffin wax. Used some little 1oz glue cups as molds. Those puppies worked really well.

FWW-4309.jpg

FWW-4310.jpg

Very cool! Have a friend that makes his starters in cup cake pans using the paper liners. Also just pours patties on wax paper too.

Will be interesting to see how it does on a long brisket or butt cook.

Very cool! Have a friend that makes his starters in cup cake pans using the paper liners. Also just pours patties on wax paper too.

Me too. Right now the temps are a little high, but i think the problem is that I've got some air leaks that is feeding the fire.

Next week I'll seal up the bottom feeder vents a little better, and maybe run a sealing ring of foil around the lid.

But it truly does seem to be 'set it and forget it'

Well, Had them going for about 7 hours, and my oh my did they turn out good.

I think their defintion of a 'chimney full' of charcoal is different than mine. Looking at the pile of charcoal still out there, that weber could run at 225 until tomorrow morning....

They were so moist, so tender, with about a 3/16" smoke ring all around.

The only reason for the foil in the picture is that's what I wrapped them up in after I took them off the grill.

Seriously, the best ribs I've made in ages...

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-4311.jpg
    FWW-4311.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 123
Those came out looking yummy. :thumb: I think you're gonna like being able to dial in your smoker and hold a steady temperature.

Useless trivia time...

The software company I used to work for holds the trademark on the term "Set It and Forget It". One of my jobs was to watch for other companies using it, and when they were found, they would get polite letters from our lawyers explaining that we owned the term. When Ron Popeil started selling the Showtime Rotisserie on TV, I thought I had found a biggie for our legal department to go after. As it turned out though, our trademark rights only applied to software products. There went that bonus, right out the window. :rolleyes:

Been cooking a pork butt today. I spent a little time and sealed up the bottom vent holes of the weber with some duct tape (I had foil tape, but couldn't find it until I already had it done with duct tape :doh:). I also made an aluminum foil gasket to go around the lid.

At any rate, it's been going for the last 5.5 hours and the temperature has been 'dead on' 225 the entire time.

I started it up with a little less charcoal and one of my home made fire starters. The temperature stablized in about 1/2 hour, never getting about 300.

Going to have some pulled pork sandwiches with homemade beans for dinner...

It's just nice to get a product that actually lives up to it's promises. :thumb:

Pulled the butt off the weber at 7 hours. Didn't even lift the lid once all day.

I'm loving this little gadget...

Just need to let it rest for a bit then shred some of it for dinner... :thumb:

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-4327.jpg
    FWW-4327.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 52
My mouth is watering just watching at the pics Brent. I have an idea, if you want to tie up that with woodworking you cam make yourself a spill plane and make your own fire starters in a more traditional way.;)

I've seen that gadget and thought it might be nice. But, then again, it would spoil all the fun of putting butts and turkeys on a 12-hour overnight smoke and checking the fire every hour! :eek:

I've seen that gadget and thought it might be nice. But, then again, it would spoil all the fun of putting butts and turkeys on a 12-hour overnight smoke and checking the fire every hour! :eek:

I know, Poor old guadalupe (my old smoker with homebuilt firebox) is probably going to feel a little lonely from now on. She required checking the fire and adding wood probably every 30-45 minutes...