Smoking Ribs - Just like my great great grandaddy did

I know, Poor old guadalupe (my old smoker with homebuilt firebox) is probably going to feel a little lonely from now on. She required checking the fire and adding wood probably every 30-45 minutes...

I have a New Braunfels smoker with a good sized firebox. I put an 18lb bag of charcoal in it, light only the pieces near the vent, regulate to keep the heat going, then put smoking wood on top of it. I add a good wad of maple and cherry (shop scrap) to start so everything gets a good dose of smoke, then add a little more occasionally. I keep the temperature between 200-225 for 10-12 hours.

hey guys if you dont have to check these things while there cooking anymore ..then you loose the chance to have another cold drink:) thats part of the process isnt it?:rofl::rofl:

hey guys if you dont have to check these things while there cooking anymore ..then you loose the chance to have another cold drink:) thats part of the process isnt it?:rofl::rofl:

Now there's a thought. From now on, I won't get outta bed during the night to check the smoker. I'll just stay up all night sipping brewskies!!! :thumb: