Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Island instead of cabinets

Island instead of cabinets

The LOML and I had a long heart to heart last night about the kitchen cabinets. While she agrees about the need to replace the existing cabinets, she actually didn't want me to put all of that effort in, only to have them left behind when/if we move later this year. (as several of you have also said.) SO we're going to order some stock units from our local hardware store. His price delivered is just about matching what I was going to spend on materials

Instead of that run of cabinets, I'm going to rework my plans a bit, and use the face frames on a mobile island instead. That along with my pantry cupboard will go with us when/if we move later this year. I'm going to go with a pretty large island, replacing the kitchen table (which we sit down to eat at 3x a year tops) with more storage and a bit more counter space including a nice butcher block section. Off to work on some sketches. Wish me luck!
    -Ned

A tough decision for sure, Ned. BUT it does look it is right decision! Hours of agony, I am sure, but all for the best.

Al
    Watch videos from Woodworking in America in Berea, KY
    New blog URL: http://sandal-woodsblog.com/
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking
    We will build your heirlooms

Al,
    honestly, I was mostly building them for the fun of it, but in the end, we may relocate, I'd hate to put all those hours in and then drive away from them.

The Island will be mobile, so it won't be sold with the house (or probably won't, they offer enough money Anything not nailed down is for sale ultimately).
    -Ned

Steve Clardy Guest
    Ned.

Have you figured out how much VALUE those new cabinets will add to your selling price down the road? Before you totally nix the home built cabinets?

Would your CUSTOM cabs have more value than store bought?

Something else to chew on.

good point steve,
    In this area, with this age and level of house... (3 bedroom starter home) I'm not sure how much the Custom cabinets will add over and above simply putting new stock units in. We're fairly rural, and the neighborhood is mostly smaller houses where the 'gee whiz' factor isn't going to be a huge selling point. THey might even be 'gilding the Lily'. Simply putting in the stock units will be a huge improvement in and of themselves.
    -Ned

consulting with a local realestate agent for an opinion might be in order before making any decisions.......
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Steve Clardy Guest
    Tod's got a good suggestion.
    Got any real estate buddies?

Tod, Steve,
    we're in no hurry on this, so yes I will see if we can find a real estate type who might offer some advice on the matter. We do live near a lake, but not 'on' the lake. This area used to be 'camps' for nearby Syracuse, but is mostly a bedroom community these days. Modest houses with a little elbow room.
    THanks guys!
    -Ned

Steve Clardy Guest
    No problem.
    Hope I didn't drag something up that was not really necessary

Steve,
    you pointed out a very important factor. I'm certain that we'll 'win' either way, which would be More beneficial however? Over on another forum I frequent, the collective wisdom has been 'stock' and do the Next kitchen in the 'new' house for us.
    I didn't think I could afford that option, but the local guy has a very competitive rate. I'm not a 'pro' by any means, especially regarding finishing. I think in the end that may wind up tipping the balance. Even with being my own worst critic, objectively I doubt I'll be able to match a 'factory' finish on the doors and face frames.
    -Ned