Shooting Board - Miter Attachment

glenn bradley

In this configuration I don't know that it is called a mule ear. Certainly not up to the level of our resident Galoots but, I am a 50:50 tailed woodworker (at least) so take pity.

mule ear 1.jpg

If you have taken the time to align your tablesaw, cutting off a 45* piece of stock is pretty quick. I use the DP table to drill and set the threaded insert:

mule ear 2.jpg mule ear 3.jpg mule ear 4.jpg

Assemble the parts, grab a couple pieces out of the scrap bin and test 'er out.

mule ear 5.jpg mule ear 6.jpg

Close enough for me.

mule ear 7.jpg

Why oh why did I wait so long to build a shooting board? :doh::thumb::thumb:

i wood say you have down pat glenn.. the only bad thing i can see on this cut is the possibility on the trim piece tearing out with no backer available.. nice attachment:thumb:

Looks nice. I never heard the term "mule ear". There is a term "donkey's ear" which is to shoot 45 degree angles a bit differently. The donkey's ear holds the piece up at a 45 degree angle.

Maybe an example will be clearer than my tortured language above. Suppose you were building a box and wanted to miter the corners. You'd use a donkey's ear on your shooting board to shoot the 45 degree angles. There's a picture of a donkey's ear on this page, about half way down.

I always called the piece you made a "miter attachment" but maybe I just never heard it called a "mule ear".

Mike

Looks nice. I never heard the term "mule ear". There is a term "donkey's ear" which is to shoot 45 degree angles a bit differently. The donkey's ear holds the piece up at a 45 degree angle

Ah, that's the term I am misusing :) I see folks call this sort of horizontal triangle a miter fence or attachment and that's fine by me. :thumb: Now that I've made a mule out of myself :D

the only bad thing i can see on this cut is the possibility on the trim piece tearing out with no backer available

On a shoot board what stops the plane from cutting into the fence?

Kind of the same answer to both concerns: The plane actually does cut into the fence on your first couple strokes. Very much like a ZCI or a circ-saw guide. I notice the ever-wise Derek Cohen has actually evolved his to include replaceable inserts. I will follow suit when my current fence gets a bit chewed . . .

Advances%20in%20a%20ramped%20shooting%20board_html_m3648a719.jpg

Last edited:
Glenn just as well you around or i would have very few things on my long project list. :)

I dont mind what its called i got the jist of what its for and like the way you did it. Thanks for sharing it.

What is the miter attachment made of. It looks loke a nice piece of hardwood.

Derek in Perth seems to have an unlimited supply of Jarah which would be a great hardwood for these jigs.

I have promised myself that before i do another furniture project i am gonna have a blitz on shop jigs and fixtures.

Just got to get the house work out the way.:(