Had a visit from the police this morning

Rob Keeble

Its labor day in Canada today and a friend of mine phoned asked if i would joint some lumber for him, he is gluing together some pressure treated wood to be able to cut large arches for an arbor he is making at home.

Well we get started at 11:30 and around 40 min later as he is leaving i have a police officer walking down into my yard.

Turns out the NN called the police about the noise.

Well policeman wanted to see my shop. Apparently i am running a business and recieving large amounts of lumber and and and.

Well policeman hears me out acknowleges i have a nice shop and that he has the same tools. He heres the whole story and says well he is gonna have to go over and hear their story then he will be back.

Time goes by and he comes back and says i am within my rights and can carry on.

Luckily he arrived because my friend had already packed all the finished jointed lumber in his car and had we not gone back into the shop, we would not have discovered that we had one piece leaning up against the wall that was not jointed.

So with the policeman having left i proceeded to joint it:D but with the door and windows open.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reason being the NN said they fear for their safety from a dust explosion coming from my uninstalled dust collector. So i decided best not let the dust build up in the shop given they dont have the ability to understand things would be much better if the dust collector was actually hooked up.

Problem is when you have a hard time explaining to a policeman that has a small dust collector himself that the real hazard is the fine dust not the chips and that my Oneida dust gorilla is hardly and industrial unit well then i guess the best is to keep the windows and doors open. :D

I keep saying someday this too shall pass. :)

Many of you live in the middle of nowhere........now i understand fully why you chose to do this.

Hey Brent you wanna share some of that dessert.;)

Oh boy.

How many times does that crackpot have to call the cops before they get put on the 'crazy crackpot' list?:rolleyes:

Oh boy.

How many times does that crackpot have to call the cops before they get put on the 'crazy crackpot' list?:rolleyes:

I'm afraid it can be limitless. Back in college the NN had the cops by our band practice pad a couple times a week for three years. Worked out in our favor as we knew so many of the officers it kept us out of a few fixes we probably should have been in ;)

Yeah this is them trying to get payback for the charge of harrasment i have against them.

All you need to look up to understand the campaign is Hanoi Hanna or Tokyo Rose.

The aim is constant psychological bombardment.

One has to hold ones ground and not let them think they are getting anywhere. :) I am getting more and more thick skinned to it as time goes by.

We simply act like they aint even there not giving them the satisfaction.

Man upstairs saw to thier punishment last night. He blew one of their concrete lanterns over. :) I think that was just a warning.:D

He still has tornadoes in his arsenal then they will be in trouble.:rofl::rofl:

You have far more patience than I do, Rob. I suspect I'd be filing harassment complaints against the NN at every possible chance. When he realizes he's spending more time defending himself than bothering you, he might see fit to chance his ways (or better yet, move).

For the next 30 days you are to get up at 5 am and leave the house for work. Don't forget to blow the horn good buy to the wife.:thumb::rofl::rofl:
That was my NN punishment every time they called the cops on me:thumb::thumb:
For a spell there was a strict rule that one could not leave my driveway with out burning rubber. An easy rule for the early 20s kids building race cars in my shop to follow.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Shoot they had friends that would stop by just to do a burn out:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You had a good chat with the officer Rob and that will be noted. Let him keep it up the officers will see the pattern develope and they might warn him themselves, if he keeps this up they might press the charges themselves. I have had a neighbor like that years ago and that is how I delt with it. Ticks them off when the officers come over and chat about how nice your shop is and leave with a hand shake. :thumb:

Here's one where I feel strongly ....both ways. Ted's golden rule: "Cut slack unto others as you would have others cut slack unto you". I live in a small, 20 year old, 53 home subdivision on half acre lots, zoned rural residential. Our house and two others were build five years ago on formerly not build-able (wouldn't perk) land. Since the subdivision is older, we have no homeowners association (HA) and that was a HUGE selling point when we built our house. These days municipalities require all subdivisions to have an HA. Many of us have shops in their garage and make wood noise on the weekends. We all mow lawns and use leaf blowers and park boats and RV's in the driveway. I periodically have piles of logs in the driveway and the woodmizer guy sets up and slices them for me. My entire back yard is a vegetable garden. You don't have that kind of freedom with a HA. My old boss lives in a fancy gated community and has to hide his tomato plant behind the air conditioning unit! Here, nobody squawks unless it's a gross violation of common sense because someday they might want to make a little noise or have an RV or boat or some logs or a big garden. If someone has trouble, we all pitch in to help. People respect common sense quiet hours and since we are also in a dead end street, there is not a lot of traffic and it is blissfully quiet at night. The only problem we had was with renters who brought several 24/7 yappy dogs with them and whose response to polite requests was "they are dogs, they bark, get over it". We tried animal control and police and had not much luck. Finally, the three neighbors each spent 40 bucks on bark control sound devices that hurt the dogs ears every time they barked and planted them next to the fence. Problem solved.
On the other hand, before we moved to our present location and the reason I feel strongly both ways, playing basketball in the street in front of my house at 2 am to the accompaniment of blaring, profanity laced rap music is cause for police visits. Band practice in a normally quiet residential neighborhood beyond bed time is cause for a police visits. Sitting in front of my house drinking beer and throwing the empties at my mail box is cause for police visits.
One of the good old boys down the street is a retired state trooper. He told me once..."there's 40 acres of woods behind us....you can bury a lot of problems in 40 acres"

Ted, I am waiting for the day, when someone lives in a subdivision, such as yours, and makes a homeowners association, that allows (or in some cases should require) some of your activities. That seems to me to be a nice way to keep the (redacted at request) neighborhoods away.:thumb:

Last edited:
Years ago & out in the country we had a guy dressed in an orange vest & hat with a rifle try to come through our fence Dad stepped out of the shop & called up to him that this was private property & a hunting preserve & that it was illegal to hunt here. About 45 minutes later there he was again & Dad chased him off again & looked at me & said he'll be back again. Dad went & got the 30/30 & set in inside the shop door. When the hunter returned Dad stepped out the door & pointed the 30/30 up in the air & fired it off & yelled up to him the next ones for you don't come back... he didn't. I kinda pity the guy he was way in over his head I'd seen Dad shoot 3 black birds in a row while they were flying with a 22 rifle with barrel sights because they were dive bombing our 5# Pomeranian for the last 3 days & the dog was scared to go outside.

There was an on going friendly rivalry since child hood between my Dad's oldest brother & him because Dad could always out shoot him, One day we were out in the shop & hear my Uncle across the street target practicing . Dad looked at me & said let's go see what my crazy brothers up to. So we walked over around behind his house & there he was firing a small caliber revolver at cans &1/2 pint milk cartons & he stopped & said there's something wrong with this gun. Dad said reload it & hand it to me (I had never seen my Dad shoot a hand gun just rifles) Dad took the gun & hit every container he shot at & handed the gun back to my Uncle...my Uncle said you ain't changed a bit. Which confirmed what I'd been told about their shooting abilities.

Last edited:
Well guys i see this problem rather somewhat philisophically.

To me it all starts with the issue of local government.

In order to fund all the services needed to live a boxed up lifestyle watching the box and being a good boy, we need to pack em in to make the density such that the amortisation of the subdivision development fees go as far as possible for the developer to recover the costs.

Then we have nice high tax density.

But the issue is with a global mass migration taking place with people aging and moving all over the world to find a better place to live we end up with such cultural diversity thats its unbelievable.

Were this diversity placed in properties where the distance between each one was say 30 feet on either side like it was where i came from, then i dont think half the issues would persist.

I dont say there wont be NNs like mine but i think it would be easier for the various groups to tolerate the differences.

My NN is not only up in arms with me. He has also had a go at the NN to the N of him.

They happen to be from a small European country encapsulated by Spain. Fortunate for me i grew up with people like this so i know their tradditions. Well they specially built a brick and mortar BBQ smoker. More smoker than BBQ. Annually there comes a time i think its fall over here when they make their version of smoked sausage.

Well NN had the town and fire brigade out and shut that one down.

To me it was easy to tolerate. Its not like the place was smoking seven days a week. They aint running a business doing it.

Just as the ITalians down the road make their annual batch of pasta sauce and we have tomatoe boiling in big pots in the driveway.

But the problem is many people that come to these parts in search of a better life and freedom, have not enjoyed that luxury in their life and having lived under oppression they do not realize just how actually intolerant they really have become.

They they feel persecuted simply because of their own identity. This adds to complexes and before you know it well you got a pot of human mental stew that well will simmer to the day they die.

I think its so so sad. We have one of the largest land masses in the world and in modern times have found it neccessary to pile on top of each other like rats in a lab cage on steroids.

We wonder when there are riots like in the UK recently or when a hockey game goes the wrong way and sparks one but I believe half the time the issue that ignited the erruption has little to do with the resulting reaction.

Yesterday NN had one of his garden ornaments blown over by the wind the night before. My guess is that sparked them off.

I had never ever thought of this before hearing it, but when this first happened the senior guy at the town said to me its plain and simple envy.

I actually feel sorry for this family because they have so little going for their lives that dabbling in bugging all around them becomes the modus operandi for living and getting some attention.

Weird but thats how they have chosen to live. Bear in mind these particular people have probably endured a great deal worse so this is childs play for them.

As they say in the classics this too shall pass.:D:thumb:

Well guys i see this problem rather somewhat philisophically.

To me it all starts with the issue of local government.

In order to fund all the services needed to live a boxed up lifestyle watching the box and being a good boy, we need to pack em in to make the density such that the amortisation of the subdivision development fees go as far as possible for the developer to recover the costs.

Then we have nice high tax density.

But the issue is with a global mass migration taking place with people aging and moving all over the world to find a better place to live we end up with such cultural diversity thats its unbelievable.

Were this diversity placed in properties where the distance between each one was say 30 feet on either side like it was where i came from, then i dont think half the issues would persist.

I dont say there wont be NNs like mine but i think it would be easier for the various groups to tolerate the differences.

My NN is not only up in arms with me. He has also had a go at the NN to the N of him.

They happen to be from a small European country encapsulated by Spain. Fortunate for me i grew up with people like this so i know their tradditions. Well they specially built a brick and mortar BBQ smoker. More smoker than BBQ. Annually there comes a time i think its fall over here when they make their version of smoked sausage.

Well NN had the town and fire brigade out and shut that one down.

To me it was easy to tolerate. Its not like the place was smoking seven days a week. They aint running a business doing it.

Just as the ITalians down the road make their annual batch of pasta sauce and we have tomatoe boiling in big pots in the driveway.

But the problem is many people that come to these parts in search of a better life and freedom, have not enjoyed that luxury in their life and having lived under oppression they do not realize just how actually intolerant they really have become.

They they feel persecuted simply because of their own identity. This adds to complexes and before you know it well you got a pot of human mental stew that well will simmer to the day they die.

I think its so so sad. We have one of the largest land masses in the world and in modern times have found it neccessary to pile on top of each other like rats in a lab cage on steroids.

We wonder when there are riots like in the UK recently or when a hockey game goes the wrong way and sparks one but I believe half the time the issue that ignited the erruption has little to do with the resulting reaction.

Yesterday NN had one of his garden ornaments blown over by the wind the night before. My guess is that sparked them off.

I had never ever thought of this before hearing it, but when this first happened the senior guy at the town said to me its plain and simple envy.

I actually feel sorry for this family because they have so little going for their lives that dabbling in bugging all around them becomes the modus operandi for living and getting some attention.

Weird but thats how they have chosen to live. Bear in mind these particular people have probably endured a great deal worse so this is childs play for them.

As they say in the classics this too shall pass.:D:thumb:

And they are playing like a child.

So true. We were once a melting pot - the "heat" of assimilating into society and the desire to be part of this great experiment in freedom meant that, although you held on to your heritage, being American (or Canadian) took precedent. Unfortunately, we have turned off the "heat" as there is no longer the same need or desire to fit in. So, like in any pot where there is no heat to mix things by convection, we have cooled and stratified - each to his own layer, each different and apart. Sad.

Hope this does not tread too close to the CoC line.:eek: