Had a visit from the police this morning

to my knowledge mike rob has complied with his rules of living there, its just the NN that has taunted him for many things.. and i have seen it first hand.. for instance,, how would you fell if i were to drive into your driveway to vist with a respectable vehicle not a loud clunker and get out to be greeted by you first with a handshake then to look over and have a pair of NN's mumbling something in a asain tongue as i was trying to talk with you.. then as we went back to your deck to have a cold drink and have them take pictures and stair out the windows at you .. tends to get under ones skin.. and rob has meet all of the city ordinances that he was to meet and had the necessary permits.. i dont think you would like that setup either and would have something to say at times as well.. the last time i was there, we had them going around the fence of his back yard to take pictures of us threw the fence and out the window all night long..during the day we were having supper on the deck and were not loud at all they came out and stood as we tried to carry on a conversation as we were waiting for the main course to get done on the grill. i had enough and turned around and waved at them and said HI..then they sputtered some more aisian toungue and went in side..

my nn is so nutso, this is one of my favorite things he used to do.
Hed mow his front patch of lawn, and stand in the street sizing up the property line and never mow that 6 inches of grass that is on my side.

I purposely wouldnt let the gardener cut it so when people came over we got a good laugh at it. Sometimes it would go 12 inches high until it bothered him enough to cut it.

sometimes ya just gotta laugh at the silly things people do.

Attachments

• DSC00355 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00355 (Medium).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 34
Mike, the problems I have heard about some of the HOA's around here is they constantly want to change by-laws. So the rules you agree to abide by when you buy and move into your house, are not the ones that get shoved down your throat 5 years down the road.

If the restrictions that you agreed to when you first moved in never changed, then I would agree with your assessment 100 %. i.e. you knew the rules when you bought the home, now live with them, or get on the board and change them or move!

Luckly, I have nevered had to live with a HOA's. Rob
Every HOA I've ever heard of requires a vote of the owners to change the CC&Rs. And they're usually VERY difficult to change unless it's something that's a real problem that affects a bunch of the owners. So changes are done in a democratic fashion.

Mike

to my knowledge mike rob has complied with his rules of living there, its just the NN that has taunted him for many things.. and i have seen it first hand.. for instance,, how would you fell if i were to drive into your driveway to vist with a respectable vehicle not a loud clunker and get out to be greeted by you first with a handshake then to look over and have a pair of NN's mumbling something in a asain tongue as i was trying to talk with you.. then as we went back to your deck to have a cold drink and have them take pictures and stair out the windows at you .. tends to get under ones skin.. and rob has meet all of the city ordinances that he was to meet and had the necessary permits.. i dont think you would like that setup either and would have something to say at times as well.. the last time i was there, we had them going around the fence of his back yard to take pictures of us threw the fence and out the window all night long..during the day we were having supper on the deck and were not loud at all they came out and stood as we tried to carry on a conversation as we were waiting for the main course to get done on the grill. i had enough and turned around and waved at them and said HI..then they sputtered some more aisian toungue and went in side..
I did not make my comments about Rob's situation. My comments are in response to those who complain about CC&Rs and HOA. My point is that you knew what the CC&Rs were when you purchased so live up to them.

Some people are complaining about CC&Rs and HOAs and they've never lived in a CC&R community. If you don't like restricted communities, don't live in them. Many of the people who do live in them buy there BECAUSE of the CC&Rs. Their preferences are just as valid as the people who bad mouth HOAs and CC&Rs.

Mike

My daughter and son in law built are real nice chicken coop and bought 5 heritage hen chicks from a relative that raises them for a living. The kids named them Gladys, Princess and other girl names that I cant remember.
All have turned out to be Roosters :eek:
So much for expert relatives :(
Anyone need a few roosters with an identity crisis :rofl:
I'm an old farm boy who grew up on a poultry farm. When we would buy day old chicks, we wanted all females because we raised them for eggs. The hatchery would ship them to us 100 to a box. They usually shipped you a few extra to account for mortality in shipping and mistakes in sexing. But it was unusual to get more than maybe one or two roosters in the shipment.
[Warning - too much information] There were people at the hatchery who grew the fingernail on their little finger fairly long. They would pick up a newly hatched chick and use their fingernail to open the chick's "vent". They could then see the genetalia and distinguish between the males and females. They were pretty good at their job. How'd you like to do that for a living, eight hours per day?

Mike

[I might add one of the sad facts of life about chickens. The baby chicks are about 50/50 male/female but buyers mostly want only the females. So what happens to all those male chicks? Well, the hatchery will sell "mixed" chicks pretty cheap (if you're dumb enough to order "mixed" chicks, you'll get mostly roosters) and will essentially give away the male chicks, but mostly, the male chicks are destroyed. Their remains are probably used for feed - I never asked.]

Last edited:
...during the day we were having supper on the deck and were not loud at all they came out and stood as we tried to carry on a conversation as we were waiting for the main course to get done on the grill. i had enough and turned around and waved at them and said HI..then they sputtered some more aisian toungue and went in side..

I'd be very tempted to keep a video camera close by, and any time I saw the NN snooping on me, I'd just start filming them. I'd make it obvious, too. I'd grab the camera, put it to my eye, yell ACTION!, then walk right to the fence and just stand there pointing the camera at them. Then I'd start calling out acting directions to them. "To the left! Move slowly to your left, then deliver your lines! OK, quiet on the set, people!...Ready?...ACTION!"

I'd be very tempted to keep a video camera close by, and any time I saw the NN snooping on me, I'd just start filming them. I'd make it obvious, too. I'd grab the camera, put it to my eye, yell ACTION!, then walk right to the fence and just stand there pointing the camera at them. Then I'd start calling out acting directions to them. "To the left! Move slowly to your left, then deliver your lines! OK, quiet on the set, people!...Ready?...ACTION!"

Too funny, but I bet it would actually work... :thumb:

I'll add one more comment about CC&Rs. You primarily see them where the homes are built very close to each other, such as the new subdivisions we have here in Orange County. When you live that close to your neighbors, you need some additional rules about what people can do and can't do. Otherwise, there would be all kind of fights between neighbors who have different ideas about what's reasonable.

People want to buy in restricted communities because they've seen what happens in unrestricted communities. That's why the CC&Rs get more voluminous and specific as time goes on.

Many of the people who rail against HOAs and CC&Rs live in areas where the homes are quite some distance apart so what one homeowner does has little impact on the other homeowners. But if you were to live in one of those tight subdivisions, you wouldn't rail against the HOA and CC&Rs - you'd be bugging the HOA people to address the problems in your neighborhood.

So if you live in an area with wide open homesites, rail against living in a tight subdivision, not against CC&Rs or HOAs. The CC&Rs and the HOA makes living in those subdivisions possible.

And if you wind up living in one,don't look for ways to undermine the CC&Rs or the HOA. Look for ways to enforce the rules fairly and evenly. Because without them, your property values will be less than if you had them.

Mike

Vaughn thats a brilliant idea. I think i might just try it now for some fun in future. Could be a good laugh at their expense for a change some time in the future.

Put it on You Tube and make them famous.:rofl::rofl: I would probably have to bleep quiet a bit. They dont speak english but they know how to swear worse than a trooper.

Oh Larry you forgot the remark they made after your previous visit.

Having my large Stars and Stripes flag out front along with my Canadian flag, the whole neigborhood knew i was having American visitors.

Well you remember the remark .....after the wave.......AMERICANS...hmmph.

Oh boy at that time i wished i had ......(best left out).

Best we all just laugh these things off ....life is way too short. :)

They dont speak english but they know how to swear worse than a trooper.
Rob, My next door neighbors are Vietnamese, late sixties. Hard workers but not much English. They have four sons and two daughters....most with college degrees and all equally hard workers. Mom and dad work in a packing plant and keep us supplied with fresh fish. I have a huge garden, which I share with them. We get along just fine despite the language barrier and the fact that forty five years or so ago I was responsible for dropping an an awful lot of bombs on their former country. When I threw out my back recently, the son volunteered to take care of my lawn. When another son recently married we were invited to the wedding. It doesn't get much better than that. If you ever have the opportunity to reach out to your NN, I recommend you do so, whether it means learning a few phrases of their language and saying hi, or turning a bowl or making a box as a gift-- for no other reason than to meet up close face to face with a smile and throw them off balance :) :)

I hear something that went a little like this.

It's not what you think or say but rather.....what your NN thinks your thinging or thinks your saying which is probably 180 degrees out from the facts. But their his facts & he's sticking to them.

People want to buy in restricted communities because they've seen what happens in unrestricted communities. That's why the CC&Rs get more voluminous and specific as time goes on.

Mike, you are right. Many people wish to live in a controled environment like these. However, it's not for me. When I think of CC&R's I am reminded of the quote from Ben Franklin, "He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

There are risks in living totally free to do what you want on your own property. The guy next store may not think the same as you when it comes to colors, how many plants he should have in his yard, or if it's a good idea to hang your clothes out on a line to dry. That's the price we pay. For me, it's a small price. When someone else tells me I can't leave my garage door open for more than 15 minutes, then it's time for me to move.

Mike, you are right. Many people wish to live in a controled environment like these. However, it's not for me. When I think of CC&R's I am reminded of the quote from Ben Franklin, "He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

There are risks in living totally free to do what you want on your own property. The guy next store may not think the same as you when it comes to colors, how many plants he should have in his yard, or if it's a good idea to hang your clothes out on a line to dry. That's the price we pay. For me, it's a small price. When someone else tells me I can't leave my garage door open for more than 15 minutes, then it's time for me to move.
As I've said repeatedly, if you don't like the idea of CC&Rs and HOA, don't buy property covered by both. You would understand the need for them if you ever choose or have to (for whatever reasons) live in such a subdivision.

And if you do wind up in such a subdivision, even against your wishes, do not try to subvert the CC&Rs and the HOA. The majority of your neighbors probably moved into that neighborhood BECAUSE of the CC&Rs and the HOA. In tight living like that, what your neighbor does can have a significant impact on the value of your property and your ability to sell it. CC&Rs protect all of you.

Mike

[And, of course, CC&Rs have nothing to do with security but everything to do with economics.]

Last edited: