woodworking project

If I'm not mistaken someone would take the lead with whatever project is selected possibly either using a webcam or video taping demonstrating the various techniques needed to build the project with the project broken down into phases. There might be a certain time period between phases of the project and the ability for the members to go back to those videos for assistance. Sounds like it would be fun and an opportunity to learn some new techniques! Count me in.:thumb:

I like the idea of a group build as defined by Steve and would be interested in participating in the future. I am not interested in the cart, but it is still a good idea. I could see suggesting a build this winter (when I have time). I would probably be interested in something like the Garrett Hack wall cabinet or his spinner table (video coming soon in FWW). I think the build would be more coherent if the focus was on a fairly specific design. I belive that it was a strong element of the sucess of Jay's Organ build. Everyone was making the same thing and basically the same way. I am not sure someone making a wall cabinet with pocket screws and someone dovetailing the joints would have the same connection to the methods and procedures. Just my take on it.

Last edited:
Well Alan B you could do one on kitchen cabs without having to make em all again.
I think Jonathan might find that project of use.:)

I like the idea very much.

I have several projects around my shop that stopped not because i lost interest but because i ran into a snag that i needed to the x to do the y to do the z on the project.

In most cases i did not have the off hand either know or experience to do the x so it stopped. Sometimes it was material and special item that i was not prepared to spend stupid money for to get to my shop.

Perhaps we could include a group buy aspect on the hardware if there is something specific or unique. Jay i know has been a blessing to the organ guys in this regard.

I think the key thing here would be to break down the walls and get people to ask what they dont know. It took me a while to get to do it now i can be a pain in the rear with all my questions but hey i ask some of them to help clarify something others aint asking but should be.

Question is can we have more than one group project going at a time?

By that i mean take Bill now he is in but dont want to do the cart.

What if i undertake to say i will lead a plane making build and get 3 takers then they run concurrent with the cart ? Its a bit like a box swap or snowman build when we did the spinny one.

Allen would be in all of them and still finish all before everyone else!
Rob, your idea is interesting. If different people wanted to do different builds and the interest was there, since Steve is thinking of making it a specific section of the forum unto itself, I don't see the problem, but that also doesn't mean there isn't a problem doing it this way. Steve?????

I would like to suggest that people interested take a look at Charls Neils website where he goes through a project in video.

Above i have linked to one of his actual free project videos. Its a pie safe and their are as many episodes as it takes to get er done. NO fancy schmancy FWW 50 artists and ten editors or cutting and dicing away. Just plain old knowledgable Charles without the glitz.

I think you then would get the merits of what Steve is suggesting.

Charles Neil gives you blow by blow of making the project real time on video. Minimum editing.

Its fantastic its to me what is totally missing in the woodworking scene.

When Charles is finished the video. If you built along with him then you finished the project.

Think about this. Quiet a few things happen here.

1) you get a project complete. Not half or partial.

2) You get shown how to jump the hoops that you may not know exactly how to jump. You may have an idea but you not sure so being 50 plus you think it over and think it over and you know how it goes ....a thanks giving dining table becomes a Christmas dinning table becomes a easter and so on.

3) You learn a ton and in Steves sample idea you get to see that others have the same issues and stuggles and you aint alone. Thats to me the huge benefit and peace of mind in sharing good bad and ugly. It keeps me sane at least because i can be very hard on myself.

Its a win win win idea alround. :thumb:

Gary, can you tell more about your experiences with your last build please? Anything you can remember would be helpful. What did you like, what didn't you like.

Steve the build we did just started out as an idea between two of us and we wanted to see if others would join in on the build. Deciding on the project was our biggest hurdle and there was only two of us that were making that decision...
Lots said they would build but only a small amount did. But lots chimed in and came along for the ride.
The build was fun but the camaraderie was unreal. Thats what made it so enjoyable. Did we learn a ton? Not really but I'm sure some of those following along picked up a few pointers.
Not really any downside to the thing. One just needs a couple of willing guys, or gals, to start it.. They will drive the bus and others will follow along.
Would I do it again? In a heart beat if the project is right.
You just can't beat a good community build!

I think It's a great idea! It would be a lot of fun and really bring everyone together!
As was stated the project should be a general piece, say a wall cabinet. And each participant would tailor it to their own needs, using joinery that matches their skill set or raise the bar on themselves and try something more challenging.
How many times have we looked at someone elses work and thought "now why didnt I think of doing it that way?"

Count me in!:D

Do more than one project at one time? You are the board. It is yours/ ours/ mine and we can do what ever the group wants. I had thought only one for staters as to ease the learning curve as to what it would take for the bus driver.

The way I saw it was this. Project number 1 will have a few takers. If we can keep it going, I had hoped the numbers would increase. I eventually hoped we would get to a grandfather clock or high-boy. Something big and really involving a lot of new techs.

A shop cart is probably something that most folks could make use of in one form or another. I suggest we start with this in order to get the ball rolling and then discuss other potential projects as we get comfortable with this build.
just my :twocents: