News from Sam Blasco & Shaz

larry merlau

this what he wrote me:

Hey Larry,

Thanks for your concern. So far we are intact. The fires got to within about four miles of our house and five miles of the shop and downtown. We stayed in the shop the last two nights figuring it would be easier to defend and/or evacuate from there. The local area is devastated, worse than any of the Hurricanes we lived thru in Miami. 25,000 acres burnt, 6000 people are displaced, miles and miles of homes and businesses gone, many good friends and acquaintances. Been doing our best to volunteer clothing, time and food to the support effort. We are living under a cloud, literally, of brown and black. Internet service and phone service has been spotty. Looks like the worst has past, but still much of the fire is raging as we speak. Our volunteer fire department and all the local departments have earned their pay! They were overwhelmed but still managed to save lives. The lost pines may now be truly lost forever.

thanks again and take care

shaz and i had nice conversation tonight and he and pattie is doing fine been real busy with work and is doing some other endeavors as well.. said thanks for thinking of him and that he will try to get on soon to say hey.. he said the only trouble has been the heat and the drought hasnt bothered him to bad..he has city water, so he isnt affected like the ranchers have been..

Last edited:
will have to call him he doesnt do email well:) he is right in the town of astin pretty much so i think he should be better off sam in the middle of nowwhere:) just like he likes it:D:thumb:

Wow more environmental destruction. Said to Linda this morning, when ever if ever we think we have an issue we only need thing of people affected by fires earthquakes floods or tornadoes.

Caught a piece of the news in Japan of a small remote village hit by a typhoon and the Mayor of the village lost his daughter who was to be engaged and his wife. He said he could not concern himself with his loss at this time he was more worried about his community.

Imagine having to deal with that. :(

Someone here said they wake up greatful each day for what they have. Boy so do i.