Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fender Telecaster Restoration For Tsunami Survivor

Fender Telecaster Restoration For Tsunami Survivor

My neighbour Mark Hoshi has been going up to the devastated area from the March 11th quake and tsunami almost from the day after the event.

While in one of the many evacuation centers Mark met a survivor who had lost everything, with the exception of his Fender Telecaster guitar. How he found it amongst the debris I'll have to let Mark tell you, as I do not know, but it was found. This guy's entire life was destroyed by the tsunami, but he wishes to play this guitar again.

I have no doubt that this is just a run of the mill Fender Telecaster, made in Japan I searched the serial number and it shows it was made between 1989-1990.

We know that the electronics will be shot, sea water is not kind, but we are hoping to save the body and rebuild the guitar so the guy can play it and have at least one thing from his former life.

Some pics......

I took a bunch of pics as we were taking it apart to show the wiring, but it is kind of a rats nest.

We are trying to contact the guy now, and find out if he has a preference on the finish. The finish that is on the guitar now is about 1/8" thick, like plastic, it is badly cracked and broken in several places and the sea water got behind the finish in a number of places.

As you can see in the 3rd pic the guy must have carved away a substantial part of the top front of the body, so you can see the wood, it looks like my old friend Keyaki, but it could be something else.

The plan now is to completely remove the old finish from the body, sand it down and make it all nice and smooth, then refinish it, how we are not quite sure yet.

The neck or the fret board is quite worn, the guy must have played it a lot, I am wondering how to refinish that if at all?

I know some of you here are guitar guys, so if you have any info and or links etc we could use the help.

Cheers!

PS could one of the Admin guys look at the account for mark hoshi he is having trouble logging on to the site.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 09-07-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I'd look down the neck from the end towards the guitar body. Hold it at a bit of an angle to see some dark wood between the frets. make sure the gaps are even and that one end of the neck isn't twisted. If it is, it may need to be replace (unless it's always been that way and the guy likes it that way).

Edit: I sent him a password reminder. If he's still having issues, can you see what exactly he's having issues with...Thanks!
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 09-07-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Shame about the GK-2 Unit. That's for connecting the guitar to a synthesizer.

Generally you don't really do anything to the fret board it self. I'd check the frets to see if they are worn out, but it all depends how deep you guys want to get into the luthiery aspect of this.

Might want o check the tuners to see if the seawater affected them as well.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

The folks over at mimf.com are very helpful- I know some of them have rescued guitars from Katrina.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Shame about the GK-2 Unit. That's for connecting the guitar to a synthesizer.

Generally you don't really do anything to the fret board it self. I'd check the frets to see if they are worn out, but it all depends how deep you guys want to get into the luthiery aspect of this.

Might want o check the tuners to see if the seawater affected them as well.
    The frets do look worn, but do they need replacing?

I'll take some more pics...
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Schultz View Post
    The folks over at mimf.com are very helpful- I know some of them have rescued guitars from Katrina.
    Thanks, I'll go and visit them!
    William Arthur Ward

Kudos to you and Mark Stu! That's a wonderful thing you both are doing for that gentleman. Being able to give him something back of his life after such a tragedy. That guitar will have all the more meaning to him than it did before.

This world could always use more folks like you two!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Soby View Post
    Kudos to you and Mark Stu! That's a wonderful thing you both are doing for that gentleman. Being able to give him something back of his life after such a tragedy. That guitar will have all the more meaning to him than it did before.

This world could always use more folks like you two!
    I have nothing to help you Stu. But what Rich said times 2!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    The frets do look worn, but do they need replacing?

I'll take some more pics...
    Do not replace the frets. You're not set up to do it. Unlike on other guitars, Fender frets are installed from the edge of the fretboard instead of being pressed in from above. If the frets are worn, they can be re-dressed, but it's something you want an experienced person doing. If the frets are badly worn, then it's time to replace the neck.

I suspect all of the existing finish is lacquer. I'd check with Fender restoration pros before deciding how to replace (or repair) the finish.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughan, are those Seymour Duncan pickups standard issue for that era of guitar?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash