Fender Telecaster Restoration For Tsunami Survivor

I like you idea about finishing the fret board, but I think I'll leave the actual frets alone, if the owner wants that done he can do it himself or hire it out to a pro.

:thumb:

Brent, the Seymore Duncans were an aftermarket addition. I don't know that Fender ever shipped with them from the factory, and especially not likely in the era when this guitar was made.

Pretty much what I was thinking, since the other pickup was for a synthesizer.

Stu, I found this at: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecast...ishing-steps-vintage-butterscotch-blonde.html

Sanding sealer (Zisner dewaxed clear shellac) 3-5 coats,

Grain Filler (Bartley Paste Grain Filler - natural) as many coats as it takes to get the body smooth,

ReRanch butterscotch blond lacquer,

Clear nitro coats.

Of course much sanding in between steps.

Is this the proper order for a good finish, or would it be better to start with the grain filler followed by the sealer?

The finish will not match the headstock because it naturally aged to that color but it will still look really good.

K

Hey Stu, just read this post today while at work. Very cool what you are doing. I am not sure what Fender does for their finish but likely they are using a nitrocellulose for the final finish. For this I can suggest one product. It is a nitrocellulose lacquer. One problem with buying it is the quantity. The sizes they sell it in are either too much or too little. I looked around quite a bit and was lucky to find this one at my local big box (of all places). It was just the right size at 1.6 liters. I think I now know why Martin and others like using it. It dries so quickly. A light spray and you can work it 20min later.

nitro.jpg

Yep, I've been using that product for a while, I also really like their sanding sealer :thumb:

You said "a light spray" how are you spraying it?

Cheers!

Any progress lately? If you use nitro lacquer for a finish ( which is pretty traditional for a electric guitar) you need to let the finish cure for a few weeks before you sand and buff the finish, if you don't wait long enough the lacquer will continue to shrink as it out gasses and you will need to resand and buff.

Funny you should ask Dave, my buddy Mark came by tonight, I've not seen him in several months, he has been away on business and very busy. He is my contact with the owner, and he is going up to the area the guy lives in this coming weekend, he'll discuss what is to be done. Basically once I finish the body, it will be out of my hands, so we need to see what the owner wants done. I'm fairly confident that I can replicate the original butterscotch color, at least fairly close with some dyes and such in a lacquer finish. If have found from some research that a big part of the success is the first layer used on the bare wood, I have to get it really filled in, then sealed then finished, as the Ash is very open wood. I've not seen any real wood filler here yet, so I'll be searching for that, but I have lots of good sanding sealer at least for the sealing part.

When I get more done, I'll post for sure.

Cheers!