Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Group Build - First Project

It'd be neat if we could come up with the project plans in SU that we could share. It would also take some of the guesswork out of tweaking things. I'm not an SU whiz, but if someone feeds me some info I'd be willing do put it into SU. Maybe the forum admins could set up a repository where we could keep such files?

Charlie I think your idea is pure genius. Excellent idea this gets better all the time we could then add getting some sketchup experience to the build as we each download and tweek the plan to suit our adaptations of it. If we then upload our modified plan after it has been checked over for correct sketchup work we would then have a variety and collection of plans for others coming behind to build. Over time this could make quiet a library but it would serve to keep us maintaining our sketchup design abilities so we dont get hookef on always needing a plan.
    I am thinking perhaps we could recruit Dave R to be our resident Sketchup moderator to oversee the uploaded plans when they get submitted over time. I dont see that there would be that much of a volume that it would be a huge load. But it would serve to help us fine tune our su skills.

Great thought Charlie, what say others. I am willing to approach Dave and ask him if he would be willing to fill such a role if we agree we want to do this.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I like it Bart. Got the plans for it ?
    Yep they came out of my head. It was made to fit under the right table of my Unisaw. Really it's just a simple box with a face frame. I just figured out how much I could squeeze into the area under the saw made a quick sketch with the measurements about 15 minutes & started cutting material. It's all 3/4" material no top on the box with corner blocking to screw the top made of banded MDF.

I'll make something similar to go under my lathe when & get back into a shop. I am dreaming of the Grizzly G0733 with either a one piece cabinet just about 5' long which will just fit underneath the lathe or 2 cabinets similar to the one pictured here.

I want places to store the tools & chucks as well as grinder,wolverine jig & work-sharp so everything is handy for turning.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 08-16-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Yep they came out of my head. It was made to fit under the right table of my Unisaw. Really it's just a simple box with a face frame. I just figured out how much I could squeeze into the area under the saw made a quick sketch with the measurements about 15 minutes & started cutting material. It's all 3/4" material no top on the box with corner blocking to screw the top made of banded MDF.

I'll make something similar to go under my lathe when & get back into a shop. I am dreaming of the Grizzly G0689 with either a one piece cabinet just about 5' long which will just fit underneath the lathe or 2 cabinets similar to the one pictured here.

I want places to store the tools & chucks as well as grinder,wolverine jig & work-sharp so everything is handy for turning.

That's exactly where mine is going as well Bart (under mine not yours)..I'll start on it tonight
    So mote it be,

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Charlie I think your idea is pure genius. Excellent idea this gets better all the time we could then add getting some sketchup experience to the build as we each download and tweek the plan to suit our adaptations of it. If we then upload our modified plan after it has been checked over for correct sketchup work we would then have a variety and collection of plans for others coming behind to build. Over time this could make quiet a library but it would serve to keep us maintaining our sketchup design abilities so we dont get hookef on always needing a plan.
    I am thinking perhaps we could recruit Dave R to be our resident Sketchup moderator to oversee the uploaded plans when they get submitted over time. I dont see that there would be that much of a volume that it would be a huge load. But it would serve to help us fine tune our su skills.

Great thought Charlie, what say others. I am willing to approach Dave and ask him if he would be willing to fill such a role if we agree we want to do this.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Sounds good to me Rob
    So mote it be,

you beat me to the punch on that one charlie. i was going to say, that what ever the plans were, the only way i could go along with this, was via sketchup (due to other projects getting in the way). if you want, i'd be happy to do them up in sketchup.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

Go for it Dan get it started and we can each download the plan and then modify the top.

I have this in mind for one of mine

And a sharpening one for the other but cannot decide on the top.

Hey Chuck and other pros out there what do you think. Any weaknesses you can see in this design. I think this would be a solution to my mitre saw storage and use. Could even roll it outside when needed. Might put big lawnmower type wheels on it.

Hey Dan you done with drawing the above.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 09-10-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

This is one of the projects I want to build I already have the plans. I want to build a cabinet for under my bench too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011225_lg.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I like that Rob

I really like the one you showed Bart but it's a little bit too fancy for my shop
    So mote it be,

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I like that Rob

I really like the one you showed Bart but it's a little bit too fancy for my shop
    I can only imagine your still using nails in the wall or peg board.

If you want to build this tool cabinet you can use regular plywood & edge it, instead of Baltic Birch. But then again if you want to get real fancy you could use salvaged pallet material.