Group Build - First Project

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it appears there is some interest in doing a group build.

In order for this to get going, I'd suggest that we need a few things to get started.

1) A project.
2) Some one to lead the project
3) People to participate in the project.

Steve Southwood has suggested that we do a nice little shop cart as a first project. http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/090/extras/roll-around-work-cart/

roll-around-work-cart-medium.jpg

That seems like a good idea, but I think we should probably have a discussion and then put up a poll on what the first project should be.

We will also need to have someone to lead the project. Ideally it would be someone with some skills and the time required to lead the project. They should be able to put together some tutorials and videos above and beyond the plans that would be used for project. The leader should also be prepared to have enough time on their hands to complete the project fairly quickly and then be able to help others through the build.

We will also need to get some people to participate.:thumb:

Sound good? Keep in mind this is all a work in progress, so we will be kind of winging it here to start.

Last edited:
Cool beans!

I will see what I have for supplies. I have a couple of small projects to do first and should be ready to start this next week!

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. How closely would we all need to follow the plan to make the group thing work? For example, I might like to tweak the dimensions of that shop cart so that it fits under my TS extension.

I think this is a great idea. I will pass on this one as I have a cart and no floor space for another. I could see this forum supporting all sorts of things; large and small pieces, Christmas-rush-runs, jigs and fixtures, too cool.

I like the idea of doing group builds. However for me.... I cannot start a new project for at least another month or two. So if this starts right away I will watch and read along but cannot participate.

How about starting it in January? Let the stress of the holidays and potential holiday wood gifts let more folks participate later on?

If you want to do something shorter term...how about a holiday ornament build/exchange (non-secular, of course)? I'm already stressing over the holiday season and it's only Sep (OK, I stress over everything)

I already have a shop cart that I built several months ago. If anybody saw the shop cart the Tommy built on "Ask This Old House" about six months ago, I used it as a general pattern and added a middle shelf to it.

To build it, I rough sketched it, then used Cutlist+ to design the cutting layout to make it from one sheet of ¾" ply, with nearly no waste. No pics right now, but I suppose I could take a few.

Well I have had the material for several weeks now, I will probably build along with a shop cart.

Sharon, how about doing a Holiday swap? You thought of it, so run with it. I will send you a PM

Ok i am in i have loads of baltic birch ply i can use for this and i have the wheels.

I think i am going to adapt mine to a finishing table and use it for the grinder and granite slab .

I like that i dea of the roll holder. Gotta add that to my workbench.

Anyone got plans i have not got shop notes due to my personal avoidance of more magazines. Or do we wing it from the picture. :dunno:

Are there going to be any rules. Lets remember we aint a HA.

Well, it seems like everyone who wants in wants a shop cart?

Guess we need to move on up to step 2 and finding someone to lead this.

Any volunteers to be the project lead?

What if we search the interwebs for a free plan? Everyone could base off of that. It would also eliminate the need for a project leader for the first one? As most plans have all the directions and jigs, built in.

I might make two. One for sharpening and the other for the mitre saw the ambassador convinced me to keep. :D

Steve did you not make a mitre saw rolling cart with fold down wings? Or have i got the wrong person.

That was fun I really enjoyed this project.

Whats keeping you guy's???

Actually I don't have a shop right now but wanted to contribute. This is a roll around that I built a few years back.

Attachments

• Out in the shop 038.jpg
    Out in the shop 038.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Out in the shop 43.jpg
    Out in the shop 43.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Out in the shop 039.jpg
    Out in the shop 039.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Out in the shop 047A.jpg
    Out in the shop 047A.jpg