Group Build - First Project

It'd be neat if we could come up with the project plans in SU that we could share. It would also take some of the guesswork out of tweaking things. I'm not an SU whiz, but if someone feeds me some info I'd be willing do put it into SU. Maybe the forum admins could set up a repository where we could keep such files?

Charlie I think your idea is pure genius. Excellent idea this gets better all the time we could then add getting some sketchup experience to the build as we each download and tweek the plan to suit our adaptations of it. If we then upload our modified plan after it has been checked over for correct sketchup work we would then have a variety and collection of plans for others coming behind to build. Over time this could make quiet a library but it would serve to keep us maintaining our sketchup design abilities so we dont get hookef on always needing a plan.
I am thinking perhaps we could recruit Dave R to be our resident Sketchup moderator to oversee the uploaded plans when they get submitted over time. I dont see that there would be that much of a volume that it would be a huge load. But it would serve to help us fine tune our su skills.

Great thought Charlie, what say others. I am willing to approach Dave and ask him if he would be willing to fill such a role if we agree we want to do this.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I like it Bart. Got the plans for it ?

Yep they came out of my head. It was made to fit under the right table of my Unisaw. Really it's just a simple box with a face frame. I just figured out how much I could squeeze into the area under the saw made a quick sketch with the measurements about 15 minutes & started cutting material. It's all 3/4" material no top on the box with corner blocking to screw the top made of banded MDF.

I'll make something similar to go under my lathe when & get back into a shop. I am dreaming of the Grizzly G0733 with either a one piece cabinet just about 5' long which will just fit underneath the lathe or 2 cabinets similar to the one pictured here.

I want places to store the tools & chucks as well as grinder,wolverine jig & work-sharp so everything is handy for turning.

Last edited:
Yep they came out of my head. It was made to fit under the right table of my Unisaw. Really it's just a simple box with a face frame. I just figured out how much I could squeeze into the area under the saw made a quick sketch with the measurements about 15 minutes & started cutting material. It's all 3/4" material no top on the box with corner blocking to screw the top made of banded MDF.

I'll make something similar to go under my lathe when & get back into a shop. I am dreaming of the Grizzly G0689 with either a one piece cabinet just about 5' long which will just fit underneath the lathe or 2 cabinets similar to the one pictured here.

I want places to store the tools & chucks as well as grinder,wolverine jig & work-sharp so everything is handy for turning.

That's exactly where mine is going as well Bart (under mine not yours:rofl:)..I'll start on it tonight :thumb:

Charlie I think your idea is pure genius. Excellent idea this gets better all the time we could then add getting some sketchup experience to the build as we each download and tweek the plan to suit our adaptations of it. If we then upload our modified plan after it has been checked over for correct sketchup work we would then have a variety and collection of plans for others coming behind to build. Over time this could make quiet a library but it would serve to keep us maintaining our sketchup design abilities so we dont get hookef on always needing a plan.
I am thinking perhaps we could recruit Dave R to be our resident Sketchup moderator to oversee the uploaded plans when they get submitted over time. I dont see that there would be that much of a volume that it would be a huge load. But it would serve to help us fine tune our su skills.

Great thought Charlie, what say others. I am willing to approach Dave and ask him if he would be willing to fill such a role if we agree we want to do this.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Sounds good to me Rob :thumb:

you beat me to the punch on that one charlie. i was going to say, that what ever the plans were, the only way i could go along with this, was via sketchup (due to other projects getting in the way). if you want, i'd be happy to do them up in sketchup.

Go for it Dan get it started and we can each download the plan and then modify the top.

I have this in mind for one of mine

09.05_.25_Card_3_061_.jpg

And a sharpening one for the other but cannot decide on the top.

Hey Chuck and other pros out there what do you think. Any weaknesses you can see in this design. I think this would be a solution to my mitre saw storage and use. Could even roll it outside when needed. Might put big lawnmower type wheels on it.

Hey Dan you done with drawing the above.:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I can only imagine your still using nails in the wall or peg board.

[/:rofl:QUOTE]

I guess you've seen pictures of my shop :D:rofl:

I'm more utilitarian I guess. A good frugal yankee never throws away a good nail:rofl::rofl:

Been a busy weekend looking for old barn board :eek::D

Been a busy weekend looking for old barn board.

Whatcha going to do with old barn board?

Last edited:
Good morning Rusty Nails Gibson.:wave::D:):thumb::rofl:

Whatcha going to do use the nails to hang more stuff on the walls, like rusty old saw blades etc?:rofl::rofl::rofl:If I knew where my spaghetti sizer's were I'd send you one to hang on the wall.:rofl::rofl::rofl: what I think you really need is a roundtoit.......:thumb::D:doh::wave:

Last edited:
It would take me longer to catch up on Sketchup than to sketchup on paper. I could be half way done or more with the project by the time my Sketchup was complete. I can learn from books & DVD's to do woodworking & turning but I like learn visually style books for computer stuff. I had Sketchup for dummies from the library & didn't like it nearly as well as the visually books.

Last edited: