Fair fair results...

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Didn't do too badly at the local fair. It was the Canfield, Ohio Fair, which is actually as big, or slightly bigger, than the state fair. In spite of that, woodworking entries are limited to only a few narrow categories.

I entered four items, and got two firsts, one third, and one 'also ran.' here are the ribbon getters: a "fair themed" plaque; and inlaid plaque; and a jewelry box, that because of its size (?) had to be entered as 'small furniture.'

Attachments

• DSCN0791 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0791 (Custom).JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN0793 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0793 (Custom).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0797 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0797 (Custom).JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0799 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0799 (Custom).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0800 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0800 (Custom).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0801 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0801 (Custom).JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 37
...And here's the item that I was most proud of, even though I figured it wouldn't win anything. (I sure hoped for a win, though.) This is an 'enhanced' bandsaw box of my own design. It's made of laminated poplar, and the drawer pulls are patinated brass. Finish is several different shadings of transtint dyed shellac, applied with an airbrush over a base coat of clear sealer. The outside of the piece is carved randomly, using #3, #5, & #7 sweep gouges, giving it a bark-like texture, and the leaf veins on the drawers are also carved in, using a veining tool.

I had many hours invested in this one. It's the first time I've tried these techniques, too.

Interestingly, due to the afore-mentiond category limitations, this had to be entered as a "household Accessory." Go figger...:huh:

Attachments

• DSCN0794 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0794 (Custom).JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN0795 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0795 (Custom).JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN0796 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0796 (Custom).JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 32
Strange categories, but all quite nice items.

Apparently, they don't quite grasp how difficult it is to make all those miters on the jewelry box fit so perfectly.

Household accessory? I'd think that should go in some kind of art category. Looks really nice. :thumb:

nice stuff jim,, and i gotta say that the bandsaw box strikes my eye more than the chicken did.. the inlay looks nice as well was the base wood solid maple?

They all look great! That bandsaw box really came out beautiful! You can see the time and effort you put into it. Shame you couldnt have entered it as a jewelery box. Would have taken a blue Ill bet!

Nice work, I really like the chicken. Notice I refrained for using the correct term for the chicken in question

What, Steve? You mean "Rooster?" :rofl::rofl:

nice stuff jim,, and i gotta say that the bandsaw box strikes my eye more than the chicken did.. the inlay looks nice as well was the base wood solid maple?

The base wood is birch, and the finish is two coats of SealCoat®, then several coats of garnet shellac, applied with an airbrush, to give the sorta 'vignette' effect.

Oh yeah, Brent, the miters were perfect - even it I do say so myself. :D Oddly, though, the jusges didn't give awards to anything wit miters, dovetails or finger joints. The two 'best' pieces were both done using simple butt joints, and one of them wasn't even all that well done.

Maybe next year?:rolleyes: (although I've applied to be a judge next year, so if I'm selected I won't be allowed to enter anything)

To my eye, the bandsawn box is wonderful. Really innovative design, and fine execution. I think the public, for the most part, has no idea when a piece is finely made or not. Thanks Jim, for posting these.

Sounds like the judges at the fair must be members of the local HA they dont have a clue.

With Rugby World cup about to begin and the French team having as their symbol the Cockerel i think that your Cockerel would be snatched up by any French fan especially with it crowing. Not sure it will be crowing in a few weeks though.:rofl:

Jim the thing that struck me about all your entries is the element of moving out of just making a nice neat item to adding some art and design element to the work. To me that moves all your work into a category of its own.

The bandsaw box is awesome. Household accessory :huh::doh: they need you as a judge to help them out.

On a light note is there a touch of filler in the mitre joint on the second level on the right hand side inside that box?;):D or is that just a dark looking edge.:rolleyes:

I actually like the fact that you left the wood to be wood and did not remove all its natural features like knots etc. That knot in the background on the inlaid piece reminds us its real wood.:thumb: not plastic or manufactured.

Sounds like the judges at the fair must be members of the local HA they dont have a clue.

Actually, I think they must be retired framing carpenters, since they seemed to prefer butt joints over mitres, dovetails and finger joints.:rofl::rofl:

Jim the thing that struck me about all your entries is the element of moving out of just making a nice neat item to adding some art and design element to the work. To me that moves all your work into a category of its own.

I usually do try to do 'original' work instead of copying someone else's plans. Sometimes it works out well. Other times...

The bandsaw box is awesome. Household accessory :huh::doh: they need you as a judge to help them out.

I'm glad you like it. I heard several interesting comments about it over the course of the fair. Although, I did hear one woman refer to it as "That ugly greenish thing, whatever it is..."

On a light note is there a touch of filler in the mitre joint on the second level on the right hand side inside that box?;):D or is that just a dark looking edge.:rolleyes:.

No filler in it anywhere. That's just a shadow in the photo.

The only piece of mine that had any filler in it was the inlaid plaque. I used sawdust & hide glue to fill in a couple over-cuts. (nothing over about 1/64" wide, though).

I actually like the fact that you left the wood to be wood and did not remove all its natural features like knots etc. That knot in the background on the inlaid piece reminds us its real wood.:thumb: not plastic or manufactured.

I much prefer letting the wood be wood.:D I often use knots and sapwood in pieces that I build. I do fill the knots - usually with clear or tinted epoxy - but generally leave the sapwood alone to make its own statement. I often get criticism for that, too :rolleyes::rolleyes: