Uniguard - quick clean up

Jeff Horton

I have been looking for a guard for my Unisaw for a while now. Really wasn't so impressed by the new ones that I would turn loose the money they were asking. Trying to find a old guard wasn't that easy either. I would occasionally find a typical guard with the basket and splitter that every one hates. I figured it was better than nothing but they go high when they come up.

Thing is, a couple of times I have scared myself. Noticed my hand a little closer to the blade than I cared for. So the search was on.

guard-before.jpg
Then I stumbled on this Uniguard that looked pretty shabby in the photos. Emailed with the seller and he answered my questions. Enough to convince me to put in a large bid. Surprisingly I got it for half what I was willing to go.

It came by UPS about 3 hours ago. Opened it up and checked it out and it was as promised. It was missing a couple of set screws but that was no big deal. I was waiting on glue to dry so I started cleaning on it.

guard-during.jpg

I was surprised at how easy it cleaned up. Before I knew it two hours had passed and I had the thing installed and guarding that blade!

guard-after.jpg guard-after2.jpg

The thing I like about this guard is that can be easily swung out of the way. Each basket is independent. So if you have the fence close to the blade you just swing that basket back out of the way. You can still make dado cuts with it. And if you need you can loosen the bracket and the whole guard can swing back under the table. Of course that won't work with the extension table and I now I have to finally make myself cut new slots. Cause the arm hits it.

Jeff

Jeff, I was looking at that on ebay as well but didn't know if it would work on my Unisaur so I just looked.

Glad you were the guy that got it and is gonna put it to good use.

Kewl, Jeff...

I have the newer style on mine, but has the same lift-up style guard sides...

[size=+1]That's the one I have, too. I looked at several other types and styles, but the Uniguard was the only one with the separate lifting sides. I really like the fact that I can lift one side for making narrow rips, and still have the other side of the blade protected.

My only (minor) complaint is the lack of dust collection. I suppose I could 'fit something up,' but it's really not that much of a problem. I do still own a broom...[/size]

Interesting set-up. I couldn't understand what all that twisty pipe was for until the final two pictures.
BTW, Greg. Yours is just too clean. Are you ever going to use it? Or do you just take pictures to admire? :rofl:

Steve, glad we weren't bidding against each other. :thumb: As far as I know that will fit all the Unisaws. Even the newer ones. It bolts to the table on the back left corner. Had to scratch my head for a minute to figure it out. You replace one table bolt and use the adjoining empty screw hole.

If you want one, I will keep my eye's open for one. I haven't seen many for sale but doesn't look like they are in high demand either. Did you watch that standard style guard that just sold? Brought $45 dollars I think. I was surprised at that, I wasn't expecting it bring much at all.

Glad to hear from all the others that you like your guards. I have never used one but it seems to be the best out there. And I like that fact that is the right vintage and style for my saw.

Jeff
Enjoying a cup of Texas Pecan coffee. Ummmmmm!