Did I ever get lucky

ken werner

I watch Craigslist all the time. Sometimes I go on long drives for nothing. Yesterday, in pouring rain I drove about 70 miles up and back to meet a guy in a tool shed behind a hotel.

This is what followed me home. Some tools, like the Rumbold butt mortise plane, never made by Stanley [but now by LN], I've sought after for a long time.

The toolbox was obviously made by a fine carpenter, and though rather musty [it stinks, really] is holding together very well. I am going to be putting some of them up in the classifieds soon.

The No. 7 Stanley is type 8 or 9. About 1900.

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 51
  • toolbox.jpg
    toolbox.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 49
  • butt mortise plane.jpg
    butt mortise plane.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 48
  • bullnose.jpg
    bullnose.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 12" combo sq.jpg
    12" combo sq.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Wow nice haul!
I have the LN butt mortise plane, It's great! LN makes a scrub blade for that as well which has proved invaluable to me on jobsites at times when I needed to do a rough fit on trim to a wall or relieve the back out of something.

Wow nice haul!
I have the LN butt mortise plane, It's great! LN makes a scrub blade for that as well which has proved invaluable to me on jobsites at times when I needed to do a rough fit on trim to a wall or relieve the back out of something.

I saw that feature, and wondered how useful it would be.

I would say lucky was an understatement.:D:thumb::thumb:

Very nice haul if only that tool chest could tell stories.

My bet is this guy was more trim carpenter than furniture building woodworker judging by the keyhole saw and that gadget you just posted about and some of the other tools around. Who cares anyhow tools are tools right.

I will be watching the classifieds.;)

Nice haul! The 7 and the butt mortise planes are especially nice. The 75, in my experience, makes a really nice paperweight on your desktop! :D:D

Regarding the musty smelling toolbox - Try putting it in a dry place, like a closet (not the typical basement) and filling it with charcoal - the non-briquette type. You might have to change the charcoal out after a few weeks, but after a month or so, the musty smell should be pretty much gone. A sealer coat of shellac will seal in any remaining odor, and after it dries, the shellac won't leave any odor of its own, either.

Take the top off of a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda, put in the tool chest, close it up. Might take a couple boxes. Once odor is gone, a paper towel with a dab of vanilla on it will keep the smell at bay (what we do to keep the musty smell from our coolers in the off season).
Oh, nice haul also!!!

Thanks for the de-smelling advice. The 7 turns out to be a type 11. Once I cleaned up some grunge I found 3 patent dates.

As for the 75 [the small bullnose plane] I really like mine. Don't use it often, but it does come in very handy. I know many out there don't like or use them. I'm going to keep mine, and sell the one in the picture.

Last edited: