Why do I need a table saw?

I have three tablesaws in my shop, two 5hp Powermatic Model 66's, and a Delta Uni-Saw. I can't imagine ditching any of them. I'd like to add another tablesaw with a powerfeed for handling some solid stock ripping, and for dado-ing drawer parts.

I'll even go one step farther and wonder why anyone would have a tablesaw without a sliding table on it also.

There are few things I hate more than a sliding tablesaw. If you've ever used a really good vertical panel saw, (Striebig, Holz-Herr, etc), you'd wonder why anyone would ever bother with a sliding tablesaw. With out a lift arm for sheets it is extremely awkward loading one, and a they eat up a lot of real estate.

Since I don't have a "real" table saw in my shop, (I have a Shopsmith... separate tool guys can stop laughing now) I don't think it has become the focal point in my shop. Yes, I use the table saw, but I've found a balance with both the bandsaw and hand saws. With a little practice, a lot of crosscutting and smaller work can be done with the appropriate hand saw...even tenons.

Tom,
while the shopsmith is somewhat limited in the tablesaw mode, it is still a very useful tool system if that's what you've got, use it and enjoy it!

I have an 80's vintage mark V which I'll eventually wind up owning (my dad has it in his basement, and he's told me it's mine when he's done with it)

Steve,
depends on how you do your work in your shop. Currently my TS is in the shed out back, and I can roll it out if I need to use it.

My TS is the tool for choice for rips, dados, crosscuts on a piece < 6', and miter cuts. It also houses my router table. While there are other ways to make many of the cuts the TS will do, I prefer to make them with the TS. Besides...what would I do will all those blades that go with it?! :D