Credit Cards

Hey Jay,
I use an old fashion knucklebuster and process them later through Propay... I know others use the new fangled cell phones with apps and such, but I'm slow to adapt to new ideas... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you are the only one processing the charges, SquareUP is the only reasonable solution. They send you the device free, no wireless charges, very low rates and no monthly charges.

If you need to share the device things get much more complex, typically you either sign up for a multi-year contract to get a free machine or you spend $100's on the device. Then there are all kinds of monthly charge (statement fees, transaction fees). Expect to spend $20-$30 month on overhead for dial-up and $50-70 per month for wireless. Also there is a $100 annual fee for "compliance" that no one tells you about.

Costco is one of the cheapest if you have retail location with a dial-up line.

There are a few companies that do credit card processing for crafts businesses. They typically provide an older used machine (which may not comply to current law), they allow you to turn the machine on and off monthly (no fees if you tell them in advance you are not using the card for a month), and they allow the machine to be used off-line, so you can take the machine to a show, scan cards (to get the lowest rate) and then when you get home upload the transactions. For a large charge you can call to verify the card for a ~$1 fee by phone, otherwise you trust the person giving you the card and take all the risk. In three years of using this method with 100's of transactions I have never had a bad card but did have one person forget they had done the purchase and complained it was a fraudulent charge, since I had their signature it was resolved in my favor.

Over time I have used all methods above (and there are others like PayPal) and all have specific pros and cons depending on your business situation and none is perfect for everyone.

I started out using ProPay, which had the most reasonable pricing I could find for the very low volume of charges I'd be doing. I was using a knucklebuster and it was workable, but ProPay still cost me $60 per year or so just for the privilege of accepting cards. (And that's not including the per-transaction fees.)

Then came Square. There is no cost to sign up, and their per-transaction fees are very reasonable. Their smart phone reader is free, and the app that runs it is pretty slick. You can even take a photo of the item you're selling and have the photo be part of the invoice that you e-mail to the customer. And the invoice has the customer's signature, since they can sign it on your smart phone.

For me, Square was the best solution.

I started out using ProPay, which had the most reasonable pricing I could find for the very low volume of charges I'd be doing. I was using a knucklebuster and it was workable, but ProPay still cost me $60 per year or so just for the privilege of accepting cards. (And that's not including the per-transaction fees.)

Then came Square. There is no cost to sign up, and their per-transaction fees are very reasonable. Their smart phone reader is free, and the app that runs it is pretty slick. You can even take a photo of the item you're selling and have the photo be part of the invoice that you e-mail to the customer. And the invoice has the customer's signature, since they can sign it on your smart phone.

For me, Square was the best solution.

What he said:thumb:

Thats where I'm at Dan. I only have a track phone and I'm not sure how much I will use it as I use PayPal or take checks. But I got a call from some guys at Disney and they only use credit cards. They told me that I wouldn't want to wait on a check from Disney.....and they don't use PayPal so I am trying to find a cheap way to take there CC. :dunno:

but what if you're one of those that don't have a smart phone? when i got ours, i asked for the dumbest on the planet.

As time goes on and new apps become available, the 'phone' aspect of a smart phone becomes less and less important. You're not really buying a phone, you're buying a pocket computer that also happens to make phone calls.

And smart phones can be made so dumb people can use them. ;)

Actual photo of my phone. The dial works (and sounds) exactly as you'd expect it to:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rotary iPhone 2 - 600.jpg
    Rotary iPhone 2 - 600.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 36
I will someday when the Lawyer gets off his ...............(coc):eek::rofl:

chair?

one of the reasons i don't have a smart phone, is that i'm not too willing to pay the extra $100 per month for the data pack per month, on top of what i'd be paying for the phone service. right now, with the minimum that i can get away with, the bill is $115 a month for the both of us. the real reason i even have this one, is that now i drive a fairish distance to and from work.

chair?

one of the reasons i don't have a smart phone, is that I'm not too willing to pay the extra $100 per month for the data pack per month, on top of what I'd be paying for the phone service. right now, with the minimum that i can get away with, the bill is $115 a month for the both of us. the real reason i even have this one, is that now i drive a fairish distance to and from work.

Data plans are between $10 and $45 per month with the typical one being $15. I don't believe SquareUp even requires a data plan, but you do need a Droid or iPhone.

What people confuse is all the various charges associated with a phone; basic phone service (1st line vs. family plan), text messaging (per message vs. unlimited vs. family unlimited), various data plans and then more advanced stuff like tethering and shared WiFi.

We have 4 iPhones with a variety of data plans ($15-$25), family texting and family calling and the total cost per month is about $200. The people that don't use a lot of data pay $15 and data hogs pay $25.

Of course if you use the phone for business to process credit cards the whole thing could be a write off anyway.

Using the Square service does essentially require a data plan, since you can't get a smart phone without one (as far as I know), and you can't use the Square service without a smart phone (again, as far as I know).

The data plan for my iPhone (on AT&T) is $30 per month. My basic phone service is another $10 (we're on an old family plan). I don't have nationwide roaming or a texting package. I might send 10 texts a month, so I pay the few cents per text instead. Without the family plan, my setup would be about $70 per month, which, as Paul pointed out, might be tax deductible depending on your situation.

Using the Square service does essentially require a data plan, since you can't get a smart phone without one (as far as I know), and you can't use the Square service without a smart phone (again, as far as I know).

I took a quick look at the Square website. It turns out you can use it with an iPad or iPod Touch also. I'm not sure of the logistics on how it works - but they say it does.

There would be a bit of an investment in the iPod to get up and running, but at least there is no monthly data plan required.

As time goes on and new apps become available, the 'phone' aspect of a smart phone becomes less and less important. You're not really buying a phone, you're buying a pocket computer that also happens to make phone calls.

And smart phones can be made so dumb people can use them. ;)

Actual photo of my phone. The dial works (and sounds) exactly as you'd expect it to:

attachment.php

Ok the app i have been waiting for all my life. As an ex telecoms guy in my past i gotta have it can you share its name please Vaughn.

Just realized we dont have a smiley with knees on the ground begging.:rofl::rofl:

Brent the closest Costco is about 180 miles from me. I cant even afford the gas to get there let along the membership cost and then there's the phone................and and and and..........:eek::eek::dunno:

Well, there are probably other places that have good deals as well. Just a thought.