Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Credit Cards

Credit Cards

For those of you that do shows and such do you take Credit Cards and if you do what system do you use for processing them.

Jay
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Hey Jay,
    I use an old fashion knucklebuster and process them later through Propay... I know others use the new fangled cell phones with apps and such, but I'm slow to adapt to new ideas...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I've only used it a couple of times, but I had Square (http://www.squareup.com) is what I have.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

If you are the only one processing the charges, SquareUP is the only reasonable solution. They send you the device free, no wireless charges, very low rates and no monthly charges.

If you need to share the device things get much more complex, typically you either sign up for a multi-year contract to get a free machine or you spend $100's on the device. Then there are all kinds of monthly charge (statement fees, transaction fees). Expect to spend $20-$30 month on overhead for dial-up and $50-70 per month for wireless. Also there is a $100 annual fee for "compliance" that no one tells you about.

Costco is one of the cheapest if you have retail location with a dial-up line.

There are a few companies that do credit card processing for crafts businesses. They typically provide an older used machine (which may not comply to current law), they allow you to turn the machine on and off monthly (no fees if you tell them in advance you are not using the card for a month), and they allow the machine to be used off-line, so you can take the machine to a show, scan cards (to get the lowest rate) and then when you get home upload the transactions. For a large charge you can call to verify the card for a ~$1 fee by phone, otherwise you trust the person giving you the card and take all the risk. In three years of using this method with 100's of transactions I have never had a bad card but did have one person forget they had done the purchase and complained it was a fraudulent charge, since I had their signature it was resolved in my favor.

Over time I have used all methods above (and there are others like PayPal) and all have specific pros and cons depending on your business situation and none is perfect for everyone.

I started out using ProPay, which had the most reasonable pricing I could find for the very low volume of charges I'd be doing. I was using a knucklebuster and it was workable, but ProPay still cost me $60 per year or so just for the privilege of accepting cards. (And that's not including the per-transaction fees.)

Then came Square. There is no cost to sign up, and their per-transaction fees are very reasonable. Their smart phone reader is free, and the app that runs it is pretty slick. You can even take a photo of the item you're selling and have the photo be part of the invoice that you e-mail to the customer. And the invoice has the customer's signature, since they can sign it on your smart phone.

For me, Square was the best solution.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I started out using ProPay, which had the most reasonable pricing I could find for the very low volume of charges I'd be doing. I was using a knucklebuster and it was workable, but ProPay still cost me $60 per year or so just for the privilege of accepting cards. (And that's not including the per-transaction fees.)

Then came Square. There is no cost to sign up, and their per-transaction fees are very reasonable. Their smart phone reader is free, and the app that runs it is pretty slick. You can even take a photo of the item you're selling and have the photo be part of the invoice that you e-mail to the customer. And the invoice has the customer's signature, since they can sign it on your smart phone.

For me, Square was the best solution.
    What he said
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

but what if you're one of those that don't have a smart phone? when i got ours, i asked for the dumbest on the planet.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    but what if you're one of those that don't have a smart phone? when i got ours, i asked for the dumbest on the planet.
    Upgrade.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thats where I'm at Dan. I only have a track phone and I'm not sure how much I will use it as I use PayPal or take checks. But I got a call from some guys at Disney and they only use credit cards. They told me that I wouldn't want to wait on a check from Disney.....and they don't use PayPal so I am trying to find a cheap way to take there CC.
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Upgrade.
    I will someday when the Lawyer gets off his ...............(coc)
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars