Credit Cards

Yeah, I never go over my minutes, or anything else.

But I do use it quite a bit for data and 'other' things. Listening to far away radio stations, pandora, etc... All kinds of things.

Ok the app i have been waiting for all my life. As an ex telecoms guy in my past i gotta have it can you share its name please Vaughn.

Just realized we dont have a smiley with knees on the ground begging.:rofl::rofl:

RetroPhone and RotaryDialer are a couple of them that I have, but there are probably others out there.

chair?

one of the reasons i don't have a smart phone, is that i'm not too willing to pay the extra $100 per month for the data pack per month, on top of what i'd be paying for the phone service. right now, with the minimum that i can get away with, the bill is $115 a month for the both of us. the real reason i even have this one, is that now i drive a fairish distance to and from work.

At my wife's insistence we got two smart phone (iPhone4). They are pretty amazing. My wife uses hers all the time for everything. I find the features, apps, etc. neat and usefull but not something I can live without. What I discovered though is I now get very few phone calls. Most of my communications come through FaceBook, text or e-mails. I would not be unhappy if we went back to a talk-only plain ole cell phone and saved the extra $150.00 a month that we really cannot afford.

Ya got to keep in mind this is just a hobby guys. I don't sell enough of these things (at lest not yet) to be able to sink a bunch of money into it. :dunno::dunno:

Since you know you're going to be doing a low volume of credit card transactions, ProPay might be your best option. It's still gonna cost a chunk of money...they have a yearly fee (whether you process any charges or not), and you'll probably want to buy one of the knuckle-buster credit card imprinters. I figure my first credit card transaction cost me somewhere around $80 to $100. That's still probably less expensive than a smart phone or iPod with Internet access.

Using the Square service does essentially require a data plan, since you can't get a smart phone without one (as far as I know), and you can't use the Square service without a smart phone (again, as far as I know).

The data plan for my iPhone (on AT&T) is $30 per month. My basic phone service is another $10 (we're on an old family plan). I don't have nationwide roaming or a texting package. I might send 10 texts a month, so I pay the few cents per text instead. Without the family plan, my setup would be about $70 per month, which, as Paul pointed out, might be tax deductible depending on your situation.

If you get a used SmartPhone (like a iPhone 3G), they don't require data plans. I got a 3G for free from a friend who was upgrading to an iPhone 4. I am upgrading to a iPhone 5 next month and will be giving away my 3G to one of my kids friends.

SmartPhones require a data plan because they are discounting a $400-$600 phone and you end up "over" paying for it by overpaying for the data plan. Once the phone is 24 months old, the phone is paid for and you are not required to have a data plan. Also if you are willing to purchase the phone you aren't required to have a data plan.