Anyone know anything about this spindle sander?

Tom Baugues

I've been looking for a spindle sander ever since last years box swap. I built a bandsaw box and they require alot of sanding so I've been looking at actions and such for one. I found this one in a sale in a couple weeks but don't know much about it other than they say it is a "State" brand. Anyone hear about them?

Attachments

• Sander.jpg
    Sander.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 59
BUY IT. State is a very good brand and if I could find one a reasonable price I would jump on it. Assuming it is good condition of course and rust is not a condition issue. ;)

PS I just noticed it appears to have all the spindles and that is not a good but a great thing! Spindles are very expensive to replace.

Jeff, I thought about you when I saw this one. I does look similar to the one you where looking at a while back. Can the sanding disks be replaced reasonably priced and from where would I get them for this sander?

I 'assume' they are 8" long... maybe they are 6"? But just search for sanding sleeves, lots of people make them so it would be no problem finding. Like any sanding product there will good and bad ones out there.

I am still looking for a sander. I passed on the Jet I found, just didn't have a good feeling about it.

I wish a State would come up here. If you check EBAy there are probably a couple on there. They are usually priced in 800-1200 dollar range.

From their web site, it appears to be a model B-4. It is currently available in either single or 3 phase variations. No way to tell from the picture what power the one your looking at needs. Worst case, you would need to buy a small converter (the tool is 1/2 hp) to use it. Their web site lists current spindle sizes which are all quite common. Sleeves are available in various grits from numerous vendors on the net. It looks like a serious production machine that will work great for a long time.