Thread: John Harts Wood

John Harts Wood

Well I ordered a bunch of wood, about 25 blanks from John Hart in 3 big boxes from his website. About 127 lbs worth of wood. Two were cherry, apple, ambrosia maple and hard maple. The third box was all walnut. Well here was a small piece of cherry he threw in. I turned this nice little NE from start to finish. The walls are 1/8" or just a hair thicker and is 8 1/4" X 7 1/2" X 2 1/2" tall. I then microwaved it for several minutes on the defrost cycle. After cooling I put it back on the lathe and sanded to finish. I have one coat of Antique Danish Oil on it. Will put one more coat on.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Nice looking bowls there Bernie

I like the natural, bark edges

Nice little NE Bernie! When it comes to coloration for an NE I sure do like fruitwoods but it's sure hard to keep them from cracking! Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Nice little NE Bernie! When it comes to coloration for an NE I sure do like fruitwoods but it's sure hard to keep them from cracking! Nicely done!
    Ken I am wondering at this point if drying it with several defrost cycles in the microwave immediately help save it from cracking. It was slightly out of round when I put it back on the lathe to sand. Otherwise I am really happy with it.
    Bernie W.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I turned a goblet from some wet cherry John Hart sent me. I turned it to nearly finished thickness....say 3/16" and then nuked it. When I got done, I rechucked made some slight changes to make it round again and finished it. No warping....no cracks.....?

Some of that same 4"x4" cherry cracked so bad it was fire wood.....same piece I cut the goblet from??????????? Quien sabe?

Speaking of John Hart...he is a member on here...where the heck has he been?

I'd sure like to see him bring some of his stuff to our swap meet and lumber heist.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=2055

It wouldn't be too far for him to drive, and I know there would be some turners who'd love to get some of his stuff.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Looks really good Bernie, I just simply love them NEs, the illusion of them being oval makes me smile!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That thin, I, to wondered about possible cracking.
    Don't sweat the out of round. Anybody can turn round. Call it art and raise the price 3X.

Thanks guys. I do appreciate it. Yep it turned out pretty well. I was pleased with it.

Steve, John has been pretty busy over on SMC with his Handy Kraft store and scooping snow. He got a ton of wood from those Amish folks that own a sawmill next door to him. Don't know if he has a e-mail from his website or not.
    Bernie W.