What to do with old unwanted Table saw Blades

Mark Liberti

Hi. I have a few 11-year old table saw blades that are rusty and I dull. What do I do with them? Just throw them in the regular garbage? Or do woodworking stores take them to recycle?

There are all sorts of things you can make out of old blades...

Yep, if you have a cutting torch and special grinding equipment. Some of those blades can't even be touched with a hacksaw. I have an old sawmill blade and wanted to cut knife blades out of it. I bought a diamond grit hacksaw blade, it won't even scratch the rust. :(
Garbage.
Artists will paint on them. I dunno why. :dunno: But they do.

I had a bunch of cheap blades and 7.5 inch blades up to 20 years old from a circular saw, they hung on nails.
when the junk metal guy came recently to pick up my old sink and stuff, I gave him all the old blades.

Giant sized 24-tooth Ninja stars? :p

Mark, if they were decent blades to begin with, they can probably be resharpened by a blade sharpening shop. If the rust is pretty light, it should come off without too much of a problem, but if they're heavily rusted, they've potentially been weakened enough to make them unusable.

Making an ulu would be cool.

Or maybe a mezza luna, and the turners could make a little chopping bowl...

38978.jpg

FWIW, I had a quote (about ten years ago) from a fellow with one of the water jet cutting devices to cut my sawmill blade into small knife blades. His price, then, was $35.00 each. :eek:
Garbage.

Back when the factory reps used to visit stores to do the SawStop demos, I took in a stack of pre-carbide 10 inch saw blades, and they were gratefully received. I believe they each had one more ride on a SawStop Suicide mission.