Thread: Church Comission

Church Comission

Well the line in last week's church bulletin read:
    Attention Handymen (and women!) We need one or two volunteers to help construct a raised wooden platform and a low altar for our children's ministries.

silly me, I threw my hat in the ring and now am taking 'lead' on building at least the platform and possibly the altar 'table', I need to see what they want the altar to look like , but the platform will be simple 2x4 and borg ply with some carpet on it. they want 'about 9'x10' and 1' to 1 1/2' tall. The idea is that the platform can be stored away when not in use. I'm going to fab up a trolley for it to ride on when it needs to be put away.

I'm going to see if I can get them to alter the platform to 8x12' to simplify the build a bit (keeping it to multiples of 4x8'). They're planning on carpeting the platform as well. I'll keep you posted, especially on the altar design/needs.
    -Ned

I wonder if you could mount a couple casters on the back edge, perhaps set in so only a little stuck out, so you wouldn't need to store and misplace a separate trolley for it. If it is only a couple inches high, you might not need a swivel (in fact a fixed wheel might be more stable for pushing the large platform)
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

8x12 and 12-18 inches high, youre looking at 300 lbs at least.
    And thats a bulky 300 lbs.

I personally wouldnt complicate anything.

Build a sturdy platform out of 2x6's, or whatever you use, cover it with plywood, carpet it, cut out a few holes to grip it on the back side, possibly where youre going to put a step,and donate 2 furniture moving dollies from HF to the church so they can put it on its side and roll it where ever they care to store it. A days work.

good ideas on both fronts. I'll see what they want, storage wise. I'm definitely going to give my kreg jig a work-out on this project. Nice thing is, they've got a good budget for this. I'm simply donating my time.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    good ideas on both fronts. I'll see what they want, storage wise. I'm definitely going to give my kreg jig a work-out on this project. Nice thing is, they've got a good budget for this. I'm simply donating my time.
    Kreg jig? Ned, they're covering it in carpet! Why not just butt-joint it and screw it together? (with liberal use of glue/construction-adhesive underneath) ??
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Why not hinge it in the middle so you arent trying to stand up an 8 foot platform?
    If you mount the casters front and back and hinge the nosing so when you flip it back the wheels are exposed you would only need about 3/4 of an inch of overhang on the nosing to cover the wheels and a hook and ring to keep the two halves folded up when it isnt used.

Any way you build it I'm sure it's going to feel great to do some good old woodworking again
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Soby View Post
    Why not hinge it in the middle so you arent trying to stand up an 8 foot platform?
    If you mount the casters front and back and hinge the nosing so when you flip it back the wheels are exposed you would only need about 3/4 of an inch of overhang on the nosing to cover the wheels and a hook and ring to keep the two halves folded up when it isnt used.
    +1 Just what i was thinking Rich.