Church Comission

Ned Bulken

Well the line in last week's church bulletin read:
Attention Handymen (and women!) We need one or two volunteers to help construct a raised wooden platform and a low altar for our children's ministries.

silly me, I threw my hat in the ring and now am taking 'lead' on building at least the platform and possibly the altar 'table', I need to see what they want the altar to look like , but the platform will be simple 2x4 and borg ply with some carpet on it. they want 'about 9'x10' and 1' to 1 1/2' tall. The idea is that the platform can be stored away when not in use. I'm going to fab up a trolley for it to ride on when it needs to be put away.

I'm going to see if I can get them to alter the platform to 8x12' to simplify the build a bit (keeping it to multiples of 4x8'). They're planning on carpeting the platform as well. I'll keep you posted, especially on the altar design/needs.

I wonder if you could mount a couple casters on the back edge, perhaps set in so only a little stuck out, so you wouldn't need to store and misplace a separate trolley for it. If it is only a couple inches high, you might not need a swivel (in fact a fixed wheel might be more stable for pushing the large platform)

8x12 and 12-18 inches high, youre looking at 300 lbs at least.
And thats a bulky 300 lbs.

I personally wouldnt complicate anything.

Build a sturdy platform out of 2x6's, or whatever you use, cover it with plywood, carpet it, cut out a few holes to grip it on the back side, possibly where youre going to put a step,and donate 2 furniture moving dollies from HF to the church so they can put it on its side and roll it where ever they care to store it. A days work.

good ideas on both fronts. I'll see what they want, storage wise. I'm definitely going to give my kreg jig a work-out on this project. Nice thing is, they've got a good budget for this. I'm simply donating my time.

Kreg jig? Ned, they're covering it in carpet! Why not just butt-joint it and screw it together? (with liberal use of glue/construction-adhesive underneath) ??

Why not hinge it in the middle so you arent trying to stand up an 8 foot platform?
If you mount the casters front and back and hinge the nosing so when you flip it back the wheels are exposed you would only need about 3/4 of an inch of overhang on the nosing to cover the wheels and a hook and ring to keep the two halves folded up when it isnt used.

Why not hinge it in the middle so you arent trying to stand up an 8 foot platform?
If you mount the casters front and back and hinge the nosing so when you flip it back the wheels are exposed you would only need about 3/4 of an inch of overhang on the nosing to cover the wheels and a hook and ring to keep the two halves folded up when it isnt used.

+1 Just what i was thinking Rich.:thumb: