And I thought I knew how she thought...

Ned Bulken

First off, this is a cathartic post , not asking for any advice, just 'sharing' with my friends...

Despite my current shop-less status, I'm always thinking of other projects that I want to put 'on the list'...

Kind of my Bucket list, but not quite that 'intense'.

One which has been on the back back burner (back back back burner?)... has been to build a teardrop trailer. I figured that this would be a 'cheap' (relatively) way to get back into camping, while avoiding the whole tent situation, and yet still be affordable (as opposed to buying a larger RV). I found a pretty cool and very active forum about Teardrops : http://www.mikenchell.com/forums and am more than convinced that if most of the folks over there can build one, I ought to be able to with very few problems (welding being one of them... and yes Jim, Finishing the build being another).

I was surfing over there this evening, when Lori piped up with 'I don't see how you would fit in one of those things, and I"m claustrophobic... those would be too small. Well there goes the 'cheap to build' and get us out and camping part... I figured if i could live in a Semi 'comfortably' (70"s front to back with a bed taking up about 1/2 of that space... and two small cabinets in the rest... a teardrop would be no problem space wise)

We've got a ton of work to do on this house, plus the NY house too (if we're ever going to sell it for a reasonable price...), so this is NOT a priority of course, but my brain won't give up once it has something 'in' it.

My plan now is to save up and buy a smaller Hybrid trailer (stand up height, with fold out bed(s) which gets us 'real' RV amenities (teardrops are basically a bed compartment, and a hatch which is where you keep the food...), and 'space', as a stop gap plan. I'd rather have a skoolie or buy a used Wanderlodge (factory converted school bus/RV) and refit that. Not that I can afford even the teardrop at the moment... but it is still nice to 'dream' a bit.

I now return you to your regular forum viewing.

I've like the tear drop designs as well, and beats sleeping on the ground. I don't think I could convince my wife to try it. Though I think the gypsy vardo may get her reeled in. She'd have some decorating say in it and would probably win her over. ;)

I think you could look for some used trailers that 'need work' and refurbish one pretty cheaply... Would probably take less time and effort and money...

There is a single mom who lives a few doors from here. She purchased a used trailer that was in fairly bad shape. Example: she purchased some plywood and brought it to my house in her truck. I cut out the new floor for the camping trailer.

As near as I can tell she has done the rest of the work herself. The unit looks fine on the outside and is quite functional on the inside. The inside keeps getting improvements. She and her son have used the unit for at least two years.

I don't know costs. However, the unit had to sell for one heck of a lot less than a new unit. They have had a lot of use out of it. She is a great single mom. She does not scringe (well at least not on the outside) when he does boy things. They seem to be the best of friends, not just mom and son.

The preceding was just a thought.

Myrna, Greg, Glenn and I used to camp quite a bit. One time after returning from tenting at Yosemite (yes you could do that in my time and they still had the "firefall" every night at 9:00) we were unpacking all of the gear. Our next door neighbor came over and asked some questions about camping gear. They wanted to start camping. I looked at Myrna, Myrna looked at me and we sold the neighbors the whole shootin' match: bed rolls, Coleman lanterns, Coleman stove, tent, boxes for packing stuff in on mules, and all of the stuff I can't think of now.

Now, when we "rough it" we do it in a motel or hotel.

Enjoy,
Jim

Ned, I hope you find something that will work out for you!!!

they still had the "firefall" every night at 9:00

"HERE COMES THE FIREFALL!!!"

From way down on the valley floor, you could hear the rangers shouting as they stood on the precipice above. Those were the days, my friend.

Thanks,

Bill

Yosemite_Fire_Fall.jpg

Thanks guys,
we'll get there... it was more of a 'gee, that was surprising' than a 'what the?'...

here's what I'd 'like' to travel in...
127171127083320.jpg
if I could swing it...
I'd put in new carpet, etc... and possibly build or refront the cabinetry... or simply enjoy it as is.

Last edited:
Now, when we "rough it" we do it in a motel or hotel.

Enjoy,
Jim

Ned, I hope you find something that will work out for you!!!

The current wife and I don't camp... we do like our comfort... but my first wife "introduced" me to camping... first time was out of a Corvette... just air mattresses and a sleeping bag... later we graduated to a tent, then to her "real" conception of roughing it... a motel that only had black and white TV. :rofl::rofl: