Walker Turner thrust guide bearing retrofit ( an easy way)

Dave Black

I bought a 14" WT metal/wood bandsaw and took it all apart, repainted, re-tired the wheels. One of the guide thrust bearings was missing and the other was shot so I had to replace them. As with other WT bandsaws the thrust bearings are a non standard size. I did like someone (I think Bob Vaughn) recommended and made a new post for a 6203 bearing to mount on. Usually the post are machined from bar stock with one end machined to 17mm for the bearing to go on and the other end to 1/2" so fit into the rest of the buide block holder. The problem is I don't have a metal lathe to make these on. This is what I did. I took a piece of 1/2" round bar stock and threaded about 1" of it. Then I threaded 2 nuts onto it and tightened them against each other. I chucked this into my drill press and used that as a lathe. I used an angle grinder as the turning tool and rounded the 2 nuts. I left a small section 3/4" in diameter for the back of the bearing to mate against and turned the rest of the nut down to 17mm for a press fit for the bearing. I also ground a flat on the 1/2" section. I think they turned out well and they fit nicely. I was going to just use a 1/2" bolt and cut the head off but bolt diameters are a little undersized so it would have beed a little sloppy in the guide holder which probably wouldn't be a problem, but I had some 1/2" bar stock and a tap and die set so I just did it this way.

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 53
Nice work Dave.

The "Easy way"?, I don't think there are many of us that could produce the results the way
you did.

I would even have to take my time doing it on my metal lathe.

Good job.