Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: removing flues

removing flues

ok this is sorta carpentry but is construction i have a existing chimney that has cracked flues part way down, the upper portion is brick and the lower portion is chimney block, the older portion is where the cracked flues are,, any suggestions on how to remove the flues without taking the whole chimney down?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Can you sleeve it with pipe/chimney piping?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Like Jonathan said, It may be more cost effective to just run a liner up the chimney. Most codes are going that route now anyway. Your best bet is to talk to a couple of the places that sell woodstoves and gas fireplace inserts. They would be able to give you a pretty good estimate to do it or what it would take to do it yourself

i have talked with them and they are the ones who said i should remove the old flues.. i have measured the existing flue space inside and its 7" one way and 6.75 the other if i could push down the 7"inch pipe i would.. just not sure i can get ti to go down there without hanging up??? talking &" round stainless rigid pipe..

Larry, our computer repair man in the corporation was our maintenance man for years. He also builds homes, lays block and builds chimneys. I just sent him an email, if or when he emails or comes and talks to me, will relay to you any suggestions/thoughts he has on this subject. Back before our outside boiler, he built two chimneys for my house. Let you know what I find out when I find something out.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

I know they sell oval pipe for duct work, dunno if they do for flue's as well or not.

Might consider a pellet stove insert, Should have room for the 4" exaust pipe.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I know they sell oval pipe for duct work, dunno if they do for flue's as well or not.

Might consider a pellet stove insert, Should have room for the 4" exaust pipe.
    darren if i were a politician i could afford a pellet stove but i am not so i cant i think i could squezz in the 7" that the guy suggested but to spend the $800 to get the stuff and find out it got stuck half way down the chimney and then have to get it back out some how before snow flies might be a little tense for me could always take and buy one section and see if i could get it to go down.. but there again how would you push it down without the rest of it to push with??/ also am thinking og going with 6" and not have to push at all.. or i could take and break out one on the bottom and see if i couldnt just keep knock the top one down.. kind like breaking concrete,, once you get it under mined it breaks much better than setting on its pad

I remember seeing on a This Old House episode that they used a tube rubber bladder filled with air for the length of the chimney, they then filled the voids with a runny mortar from the top, which filled in the voids and cracks. Once the mortar was set, they let the air out of the tube and removed it.

Dunno if it would be big enough to do that.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Larry, here is the email I just got from my guy.

I don't think the 7" pipe will fit down that size flu liner as the metal pipe will measure a little larger than 7" at the joints. As far as the removal of the old liner, I know of no way to do that short of replacing the chimney block and all. Is the pipe outlet on the stove 7" or could it be smaller?

Told him I would get back with him with the answer to his last question.

So, am I coming up for a chimney party?
    Jon

well then i quess i am back to a 6" pipe then.. the stove has a 7" outlet jonathan.. and i am not gonna take the brick down.. and the stove only has about 4 ft of pipe from stove to chimney,, fittings and all