Internet in the shop finally

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Well I finally got internet ran to the shop tonight. No digging, no pulling wires, no frustration. Wifi? Not for the main connection, I do have a second wifi router out here, but decided to try something new...my electrical wires. Yup decided to give some of those magic wall warts a go and see if it would work.

Since my shop panel is fed from the house panel, I'm technically on the same circuits/phases as the house. Plugged one into the wall behind my router equipment in the office, the other is about 90' away in the shop.

I'm getting about 15mbps download, and 4mbps upload, just about as good as at the router itself. I guess we'll see if running machines out here causes any noise issues, but doubt I'll be doing any surfing and shop work at the same time anyway.

I did have to move it a few times to find a circuit that was on the same phase as the one in the house, but have a solid green signal.

They also have security encryption built in to secure the signal over your electrical lines. Not bad for $60 and free shipping

31kM9PGO6OL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Very cool. I hadn't thought of that for my shop. It's far enough away that the WiFi signal is too weak to stream music. I don't have room for a PC or laptop in the shop, but I'd like to use my phone to stream Internet radio or Pandora out there.

I also just finished setting up a voip phone for the shop using a linksys pap2 device I've had laying around. Got service for it for about $7 per month but that includes the E911 service. Have to pay per call going out (just under .02 per call, domestically), but incoming calls are free.

Will be worth it for the 911 service. Get to set the address, so specified "The work shop" on the address so they will know where to go.