WWII Fighter Pilot

I am going to a funeral tomorrow. It is for a close friend of over 50 years.

Bruce Jaques was a WWII fighter pilot. He was an "Ace" and had many "kills."

If there was ever anyone in this world that you would think would NOT be a fighter pilot, let alone an Ace, it would be Bruce. Bruce was a very good man, a very devout Christian man. He was a thorough, methodical, think it through, person who never hurried into anything.

He was an optometrist who was totally dedicated to his patients. He was never in a hurry with them. If the patient had an unusual condition, Bruce would follow through on it with the tenacity of a bulldog.

He was over 90 years old and as sharp as ever. Cancer and pneumonia did him in.

He leaves behind a wonderful wife and grown, married, etc. children.

I will miss him.

Jim B.

My condolences to his family and friends, and my thanks to him for his service so many years ago. Sounds like he had a full life and leaves a fine legacy.

sorry jim,, and tell his family that you and your friends are thankful for his service and the work he done after.. its always hard to loose the good ones...

You know a guy for 50 years, however, you have to go to his funeral to discover that he was awarded the Silver Star, Two Distinguished Flying Crosses, and Three Air Medals. Not only that, his flying was off of an aircraft carrier.

Guess you could say that Bruce was not much of a braggart.

Thanks for your messages people. They are really appreciated.

Yes, he was a great guy and his departure is going to leave a huge hole in his congregation. He was extremely active there.

Enjoy,
Jim

Last edited:
Jim, most of the real hero's don't want it known. They were just doing what any person would have done at the time and they don't see it as a big deal. That is a big part of being a hero.

Once again, sorry for your loss

Jim, most of the real hero's don't want it known. They were just doing what any person would have done at the time and they don't see it as a big deal. That is a big part of being a hero.

Once again, sorry for your loss

On top of that, several of the ones I knew from that generation, learned to appreciate people and what you have in part, BECAUSE of their experiences in the war (and in several cases, through the depression).

I truly believe that is why there was so fewer divorces with that generation. They really knew how bad things could get and the meaning of vows.

Sorry for the loss.