Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual desktops

Virtual desktops

Even using a 32" tv for a monitor I run out of space on the screen. So I found a nice app for adding additional desktops to a windows pc today. Works really well and keeps only the apps open on that desktop displayed on the its task bar. Can also set different backgrounds for each to help keep track of which one you are on. Just use hot keys to switch between them or by using the mini toolbar

Files and shortcuts on your desktop are the same between all of them, it just give you more space to spread out your open windows without having to minimize and maximize between them.

http://vdm.codeplex.com/
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Nice.

Microsoft's powertoy includes Virtual desktop manager which I use at work and it performs in the same manner
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Just a stupid question but does this kind of thing not slow down your computer.

I mean all those pages are having to be stored in memory.

So the various programs are activated and the current page of code and data is loaded in memory hanging in there waiting for you to change desktops and click on it.

If you have a fast enough and big enough memory bank then whats wrong with short cut icons.

Is this something like say developing a program/webpage whatever for say 5 different clients. So you create a desktop per client and have them available should anyone of the clients call?

What if one of the programs on one of the desktops is a database that utilizes loads of resources when its open but inactive.

Can you shed some light on its use i dont wish to know you exact workings just hypothetical would do.

Thanks for sharing it by the way. Just need to get it first so i dont expect it to do what it cannot.
    cheers

Say I open 3 browser windows and surf in each separately. Would this be much different than if I ran each on a separate desktop? Really you're only using more memory/resources for running the desktops themselves, each of the browser windows are still running.

In my case, my only resource that is lacking is the screen space. I typically have a programming window open, a few file browsing windows, Word and/or Excel, then browsers to test in. It gets kind of cluttered trying to keep track of where I have stuff running.

Where you don't have the system resources to run multiple apps all the time, it probably wouldn't make sense to use the virtual desktop anyway.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thanks Darren i get what you are doing.
    cheers

Virtual desktops

Darren, I am not very computer literate so mind letting me in on how you connect to that big screen T-V to use as a monitor? Please.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Just loaded it. THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!!!

Bless you, Darren Wright, for linking to it! You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Dang, that's cool!

But if it blows up my machine, I'm coming for you!

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Baideme View Post
    Darren, I am not very computer literate so mind letting me in on how you connect to that big screen T-V to use as a monitor? Please.
    I've got an LCD tv with the 15 pin VGA port. I just use vga to vga cable to connect the CPU to the TV.

If your CPU has an HDMI port, you can also patch to most newer tv's using an HDMI cable.

You'll need to use your 'Input' button on your remote to switch to the VGA or HDMI input on your tv.

Hope this helps, or let me know if you need more info.
    Darren

Putting on my fireproof suit..........

Depending on what your doing, you might consider trying a Linux distro as well. This has been a capability of most (I haven't tried them all) of its window managers, for years. I typically keep four desktops per machine. (this doesn't even count eye candy like Compiz, which I haven't played with yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    you might consider trying a Linux distro as well.
    Yep. But when I have to boot to windows to run Starcraft and Shogun2, I miss the desktops.

And don't get me started on Wine. Grrr...

Thanks,

Bill