Birdhouse/feeder plans for kids

Matt Ducar

My daughter's new daycare "encourages" each family to come in and do a project with the class at some point during the year (the class is 4 & 5 year olds).

I'm thinking it would be nice to do some sort of woodworking project with the class -- like a birdhouse or a birdfeeder. Something where I do 99% of the work in my workshop and they get to dab on some glue, hammer in a dowel pin or two, rub some sandpaper, and paint.

I could design something myself, but if anyone knows where I could find plans for something like this it would save a bunch of time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt i dont know about plans off the cuff but i do know the home depot has a kit just like you describe specifically for kids to get stuck in.

Oh and if you see the store manager you might be able to twist his arm for a few of the kiddies aprons to hand out.

You could get a kit from them and reproduce what they have in it.:)

I'll second what Rob suggested. In some cases, I think Home Depot even supplies the kits for free, but if not, perhaps you could at least get one from them and copy it.

Matt, my 5 year old granddaughter pretty much is my shadow in my shop.

I'll take a couple of pictures of what she has made. They are very simple but her smiles are heartwarming.

She has made toaster tongs, napkin holders and a mail holder.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :thumb:

I think I found what I'm looking for clicking around the site that Rich sent. I think I'll do something like this:
http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/home...ts/woodwork-projects/tray-bird-feeder-674071/

I think I'll nice it up a bit -- use dowel pins instead of nails and improve how the screen attaches to the bottom.

Bob, I'd love to see examples of what your granddaughter has made. My daughter loves to help me out doing projects around the house. I'll have to post one of my favorite pictures of her -- she's wearing a frilly green "princess" dress and by big blue over-the-ear earmuffs as she shop-vacs out a cabinet I was working on.

Last edited:
Here you go Matt.

In each case I made all the cuts and she, glued, nailed, drilled the holes, and painted them.
She has her own set of tools as well as a pair if suspenders just like Grandpas :D

100_4119 (600 x 400) napkin 1.jpg

100_4118 (600 x 400)tongs.jpg

100_4117 (600 x 400)mail holder.jpg

100_4116 (600 x 400)napkin holder.jpg