Chain saw problem

Tony Baideme

Hi folks. I don't use my saw all that often, in fact the last time was when I cut up the piece of chocalate Larry sent me. That was a while ago.

My problem is, even though I use plenty enough bar oil, and clean all the wood shavings off the bar and chain when I take the bar and chain off the saw (for more compact storage) when I go to use it again, the chain is all stiff and needs to be loosend up and re-lubed. I use the synthetic chain oil, if that's good, but it seems like it turned to a black cakey stuff on the chain and will not flex at the pins. I hang the chain on the bar in one of my tool cabs, and I thought it was rusting, but it doesn't look like rust.

The current chain was a new Oregon chain and only was used on Larry's chocalate.

I think next time I am going to put the chain away in a freezer bag with lots of oil on it. It's soaking in one now with penetrating oil.

Any suggestions? BTW, if this is not the right place for this thread, please move it. Thanks.

Last edited:
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you were cutting walnut. :dunno: I know that walnut will blacken my lathe bed and hands when I work on it. I wonder if the sawdust is reacting with the steel and oil and making an oxidized sludge that's hardening up on you.

I haven't had a chance to use a chainsaw on walnut, so I don't know if others have seen this before or not.

I think a lot of it is sawdust/oil mix sitting for some time. I know walnut is worse than others but mixed with oil and not used for some time will stiffen. I soaked mine in a small can of gasoline for several hours and it came out fine.

Hmm...the chain on my electric chainsaw seems to get gummed up on a regular basis, but the one on my gas one doesn't. I wonder if it has to do with the speed of the chain? A difference in heat, maybe?

Tony you are using the chain oil made for electric saws, right?

There is a BIG difference, the regular chain oil for gas saws is much thicker, as it gets warmed up by the high speed chain, and the gas engine.

The chain oil for electric chainsaws is much thinner stuff.

FYI!

Ok Stu, Vaughn, you got me curious. :huh:

The oil I am using ("G Oil" brand) is claimed to be "Ultimate Biodegradable", "Green Oil", made with "American GROWN base oils"
and is not mineral oil based. It is "for use with all chainsaws". It is pretty thin.

Their website is: www.GETG.com

I figured it would be good for my saw. What do you think? :dunno:

Aloha

P.S. Did you see Kyle's picture with li'l ole' me? :rofl:

Last edited:
Toni, don't know anything about an electric chainsaw so can't provide help in that front. But am thinking if the chain is sharp at all, a plastic baggy isn't the storage solution. How about a little bucket with a lid and immerse it in oil. Then before you use it, hang it over the bucket and allow it to drip dry the oil back into the bucket. When not in use, bucket with chain in it, lid on it and all should be good.

Jonathan,

Yup, the chain IS sharp (new and only used once). I didn't make too big of a mess using the bag. LOL When I get the chain to bend a little ore, it'll fit in one of the cans I have, or maybe I just have to use a metal tray.

Thanks.

I kind of figured there might be more electric saw users on here. I've got a Mac 3618 also, but I need to replace the ignition module in it so it will run again.

Aloha

Tony,
I use an electric around the shop... I store it with the chain and bar in place since I have the room... haven't noticed any problems with the chain gunking up after cutting any of the woods I cut... I cut some walnut with it last... it's been a month though so I may need to check it. I use the same chain oil for both the electric and my gas powered one... haven't seen any difference in service other than the gas one is not starting right now... the air filter was all gunked up and haven't gotten a new one yet.

Try soaking the chain in very hot water then take a scrub brush to it. That should loosen it up pretty quickly and just keep it oiled from there on out.
this also works well on circular saw blades when they get all gummed up with wood resin.

You might try cleaning the chain with Brakekleen (marketed for cleaning automotive brake parts) after cutting walnut. This would remove all residue from the chain. You would then want to oil the chain before storage. Brakekleen evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.

tony i only use a gas saw, and many woods will gum up the links from cutting but they will still cut,, after they get going again..to my knowledge its not the walnut that is causing the gumming..but walnut does have alot of tannins in it which will turn many things dark and steel especially..i am pretty sure your chain isnt rusted just the oil and dust have congealed in the cooler temps of storage.. the fact that stu mentioned a electric saw needs thinner oil tells me it doesnt run as fast as a gas saw.. there for less heat build up..needing thinner oil.

Thanks guys for all your help. I finally got the chain freed up enough to go back on the bar, and worked slowly until I got it tensioned enough to run it a bit. It's getting plenty oil (and Frank, the "green stuff" is about gone so next chain oil will be real.)

Whatever it was that congealed in the chain links sure was a bear to flush out. Not even CARB cleaner worked. Just checked the chain, after I had used about 2 weeks ago and it is fine. Maybe just a combination of too many things did it. But just for the heck of it, I'll blame it on Larry's walnut wood. :rofl: LOL Just kidding Larry.

I bought the saw used Tom, a Craftsman 18", and don't have a manual so I don't know whay chain oil is recomended. Sure is powerful enough though.

Aloha to all

Tony