Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain saw problem

Chain saw problem

Hi folks. I don't use my saw all that often, in fact the last time was when I cut up the piece of chocalate Larry sent me. That was a while ago.

My problem is, even though I use plenty enough bar oil, and clean all the wood shavings off the bar and chain when I take the bar and chain off the saw (for more compact storage) when I go to use it again, the chain is all stiff and needs to be loosend up and re-lubed. I use the synthetic chain oil, if that's good, but it seems like it turned to a black cakey stuff on the chain and will not flex at the pins. I hang the chain on the bar in one of my tool cabs, and I thought it was rusting, but it doesn't look like rust.

The current chain was a new Oregon chain and only was used on Larry's chocalate.

I think next time I am going to put the chain away in a freezer bag with lots of oil on it. It's soaking in one now with penetrating oil.

Any suggestions? BTW, if this is not the right place for this thread, please move it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Tony Baideme; 09-16-2011 at 02:57 AM.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you were cutting walnut. I know that walnut will blacken my lathe bed and hands when I work on it. I wonder if the sawdust is reacting with the steel and oil and making an oxidized sludge that's hardening up on you.

I haven't had a chance to use a chainsaw on walnut, so I don't know if others have seen this before or not.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Chain saw problem

Thanks Vaughn. Maybe Larry will chime in with an answer.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

Registered voting member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Baideme View Post
    Thanks Vaughn. Maybe Larry will chime in with an answer.
    Eh...what does he know about cutting walnut?

workingwoods.com

I think a lot of it is sawdust/oil mix sitting for some time. I know walnut is worse than others but mixed with oil and not used for some time will stiffen. I soaked mine in a small can of gasoline for several hours and it came out fine.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chain saw problem

Thanks Bernie,

I'll have to give that a try. My saw is an 18" Craftsman electric, so I don't have any gas at home.

Aloha.

Registered voting member

Hmm...the chain on my electric chainsaw seems to get gummed up on a regular basis, but the one on my gas one doesn't. I wonder if it has to do with the speed of the chain? A difference in heat, maybe?

workingwoods.com

Tony you are using the chain oil made for electric saws, right?

There is a BIG difference, the regular chain oil for gas saws is much thicker, as it gets warmed up by the high speed chain, and the gas engine.

The chain oil for electric chainsaws is much thinner stuff.

FYI!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Chain saw problem

Ok Stu, Vaughn, you got me curious.

The oil I am using ("G Oil" brand) is claimed to be "Ultimate Biodegradable", "Green Oil", made with "American GROWN base oils"
    and is not mineral oil based. It is "for use with all chainsaws". It is pretty thin.

Their website is: www.GETG.com

I figured it would be good for my saw. What do you think?

Aloha

P.S. Did you see Kyle's picture with li'l ole' me?
    Last edited by Tony Baideme; 09-16-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Registered voting member

Toni, don't know anything about an electric chainsaw so can't provide help in that front. But am thinking if the chain is sharp at all, a plastic baggy isn't the storage solution. How about a little bucket with a lid and immerse it in oil. Then before you use it, hang it over the bucket and allow it to drip dry the oil back into the bucket. When not in use, bucket with chain in it, lid on it and all should be good.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING