Ok Stu, heres my shop

Bryan Cowing

I started WW about 1971, left it for a while ( sold off the tools ) and then started over in 1980. I built a garage and workshop, and started with a Foley-Belsaw 12" planer/molder, Craftsman 10" ras and a 12" direct drive contractor saw, 6" Rockwell jointer . The Foley-Belsaw still survives from 1980 and is now fitted with 2 sizes of Asian made crown knives . Everything else has been replaced from that era. By 1986 I had moved, built a 2 story shop. Got some commission work and that started the up grades to more professional tools. I now live in a 3 yr old back split, with 20 x 24 attached garage, which has a walk down of 5 steps to the basement.
Shop machines - Unisaw can rip 9.5 ft, has an Excalibur slider and fence, overarm guard and Merlin splitter, HTC flip up rollers mounted on the back. The 20" planer (has been upgraded to a 1985 Delta- June 2008) and TS share a 6" DC pipe, using a 3 hp Grizzly 4 bag DC mounted 7 ft off the floor , and using a Pentz cyclone as a pre separator. I have 2 lathes, a General 260-1 VS and an older Mini-Max T124 copy lathe. I also have a Vega copier for the General. Sanding machines, a Mini-Max L55 8 ft stroke sander ( doubles as my work bench ) 25" drum sander, 6x99 oscillating belt sander and a POS Ryobi spindle sander. Jointer is a Delta Invicta DJ-20 . Bandsaw is a refurbished Delta 2 hp 2 speed 18" that just replaced my older 14" Delta . Delta drill press, 12" Delta RAS which just relaced the 1980 , 10" Craftsman ras, 12" planer/molder, Asian made 1 hp 1" mortiser, Delta 3 hp shaper and feeder. A 2 yr old, slightly used 4 wheel General feeder has been added to the shaper. The Delta 1/6th hp feeder will be used with the router table . Ceiling is 13 ft. At the rear of the shop, over the basement stairs is a gas forced air furnace. In summer a 8,000 btu window A/C provides cool air.
Updated the pics as a Laguna 12" scoring saw has been added. I kept the Unisaw, using it as a work table, router table. Since the shop is 20 ft wide, using the unisaw in front of the garage door I can rip longer than 10 ft now with the door up.

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4013.JPG

4 looking across  shop from door.jpg

5 East wall.jpg

7 end of east wall.jpg

8 looking back at stairway area.jpg

9 west wall left.jpg

10 West wall right.jpg

11 west wall corner looking toward side door.jpg

Last edited:
Dang it Bryan, now THAT is what I call a play room!! :D

You have a nice set up there, looks like you have been working on your shop and tweaking it for sometime, great job! :clap:

I have to ask, do you get much dust in your filter bags?

I built a Pentz Cyclone, and I get almost NO dust in my filter stack. I would not want to have to empty those filter bags very often :rolleyes:

Nice temp spray booth, I take it there is a fan sucking the fumes away from you behind the blue filters?

Thanks for posting the tour, there is always something neat to see in other's shops set ups.

Cheers!

Only when I don't empty the garbage can soon enough, chips by pass and go into the bottom bags!

Yes , there is a fan, actually my homemade down draft sanding table gets put to use. Sometimes I just set up cardboard with a cutout for the exhaust, couple more large sheets of 5'x10' cardboard ( cover sheets to lifts of particle board from Home Depot ) to block off the sides of the garage door opening . I let the garage door rest on the top of the exhaust part of the furnace fan of the sanding table. A lot quicker than the Highland Hardware style booth I made up.

Dang it Bryan, now THAT is what I call a play room!! :D

I have to ask, do you get much dust in your filter bags?

Nice temp spray booth, I take it there is a fan sucking the fumes away from you behind the blue filters?

Cheers!

Hi Bryan,

Very nice and well-equipped shop. I really like the high ceiling. It gives you plenty of space for a BIG bandsaw.:D
Which kind of spray gun do you use? Turbine system or compressor?

Have a nice day,

Christian

While your shop is bigger than mine, you have it crammed, in a very efficient way with a whole bunch of well-chosen equipment. I'll forgive you for it being so clean as I suspect you vacuumed and swept for the pictures. ;) I'm not sure what the yellow, variable height, table thingy (second picture from left, top row) is. That lovely young lady in your avatar picture must be your daughter. Right? :thumb:

I'm not sure what the yellow, variable height, table thingy (second picture from left, top row) is. That lovely young lady in your avatar picture must be your daughter. Right? :thumb:

Thats the Mini Max 8 ft stroke sander. A cantilever design, as the sanding belt rides on arms over the stationary work. It can be folded up to within 2 ft of the wall!!! :) Most expensive piece of equipment in the shop. With the electric table, I can match the height of the TS or RAS to use it as support. When cutting up 4x8 sheets, I place the sheet on the stroke table, then swing and push across the TS, with a roller stand behind the outfeed rollers, I can support the 4x8 sheet. I can lower the stroke table to 16" off the floor :eek: to a max of 43".

Lady in the Avatar is SWMBO :D

Hi Bryan,
Very nice and well-equipped shop. I really like the high ceiling. It gives you plenty of space for a BIG bandsaw.:D
Which kind of spray gun do you use? Turbine system or compressor?
Christian

I started with a Wagner fine coat , plastic gun HVLP turbine, and a couple of asian HVLP guns. The one that works good is the 2 Litre remote pot pressure feed gun.

Very cool shop Bryan, thanks for the tour! It would be great if you could post it on the Bird as well. www.phoenixwood.ca Stu did, he's everywhere. ;)

The L-55 is sweet, but how you going to open the lid to use it as an edge sander with all that stuff on the cover? I just put one in my shop recently and am looking for owners manuals. No joy so far.

Also for those of you who have not seen Bryan's work, he's good.

Very cool shop Bryan, thanks for the tour! It would be great if you could post it on the Bird as well. www.phoenixwood.ca Stu did, he's everywhere. ;)

The L-55 is sweet, but how you going to open the lid to use it as an edge sander with all that stuff on the cover? I just put one in my shop recently and am looking for owners manuals. No joy so far.

Also for those of you who have not seen Bryan's work, he's good.

I got the manual, not much in it. I never really read it, so the machine is pretty basic in it's use. Edge sanding is accomplished by folding the table down and clamping the stock to the table. There is a special wood bar and spring bar type pads that is also used. I never use it this way, replacing the 1/2" thick particle board 3 piece top long with a solid 1" top.
Here are some pics of the 1989 pamphelet I got from the dealer that you may find interesting.
Thanks for the comments!

Attachments

• IMG_3584.JPG
    IMG_3584.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
WOW! Now THAT'S a garage...Uh, SHOP!
I love the way you use your space Bryan. That is one fine play room you have there.

DT

Nice clean shop Bryan:thumb:
Thanks for sharing.

Whats the brand on your 20" planer?
Mine looks the same, but is green

Nice shop!

Question if I may, why would you want a stroke sander say if you have a drum or wide belt or would you? I have seen a few stroke sanders in shops that have drums and wide belts and would think the stroke sander would or could do the job?

What horsepower is the Delta feeder and what hp is the Green one (Grizzly, Woodtek, or General or what?)? Replacement 3 wheel to 4 wheel for the one on the shaper?

I got the manual, not much in it. I never really read it, so the machine is pretty basic in it's use. Edge sanding is accomplished by folding the table down and clamping the stock to the table. There is a special wood bar and spring bar type pads that is also used. I never use it this way, replacing the 1/2" thick particle board 3 piece top long with a solid 1" top.
Here are some pics of the 1989 pamphelet I got from the dealer that you may find interesting.
Thanks for the comments!

Yeah I didn't expect the manual would be much. ;) I kinda like to have them though for completeness and for the parts list if there is one. Thanks for the attachments.

Any chance you have photo's of the special wood bar and spring bar type pad thing?

I sand small parts on the platten under the top belt cover, works good. I plan to make a 90* fence and end stop for that one of these days. :thumb:

Nice clean shop Bryan:thumb:
Thanks for sharing.

Whats the brand on your 20" planer?
Mine looks the same, but is green
Busy Bee ( canada ) bought it back in 87!

Nice shop!

Question if I may, why would you want a stroke sander say if you have a drum or wide belt or would you? I have seen a few stroke sanders in shops that have drums and wide belts and would think the stroke sander would or could do the job?
I bought the sander back in 89. I got a special deal ( I'm a sucker for deals!!!!) on it from my local WW store, to sand RP doors. I had a little homemade one, but wanted something better! Quickly found out it didn't do that well, that sometimes the belt would catch the inside stile and quicklly cut a groove in it. I recently bought an off shore 25" drum, but sure wish I could afford a better made unit.

What horsepower is the Delta feeder and what hp is the Green one (Grizzly, Woodtek, or General or what?)? Replacement 3 wheel to 4 wheel for the one on the shaper?
Delta feeder is a 1/6th HP, bought back in 87 when I got my 1st shaper. It needs a replacement base or welding job. Put new rubber on it. Hope to use it with the router table. The big green General is a 1 hp. It had only 2 hrs use, only 2 years old, got it for $500 :D. 6 hour road trip to get it a couple of weeks ago! It's as long as the shaper table! :eek:

Yeah I didn't expect the manual would be much. ;) I kinda like to have them though for completeness and for the parts list if there is one. Thanks for the attachments.

Any chance you have photo's of the special wood bar and spring bar type pad thing?

I sand small parts on the platten under the top belt cover, works good. I plan to make a 90* fence and end stop for that one of these days. :thumb:
the wood part is 1.5 square x 79" long

Last edited:
Hey Bryan,

How does that PC vacuum compare to the Dewalt one?

Where do you store lumber? Or do you buy as needed?
That model Dewalt isn't made anymore, and it's used.I picked it up at Woodcraft in Sterling Heights, Michigan for a $100. It's a BIG vac with large wheels, well built with a quiet motor and a cloth filter like a central vac, but no auto start. The PC has an auto start plug, I use it at my work bench with a fine dust bag ( shop vac brand :eek: ), to trap sanding dust from the ROS or chips from the Lamello. Got a good price on it from a fellow trying to sell off tools won in a lottery!:D
I usually buy lumber as I need it, stored on the floor behind the table saw. Right now in that area behind the saw is 700 ft of pine trim I made ( circa 1890 style ) waiting to be delivered.