Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ok Stu, heres my shop

New tool! More room!

I recently bought a used 12" Laguna TSS . I got rid of a work table, and a homemade downdraft table to make more room as I kept my old Unisaw. The Unisaw became the worktable, router table and I can saw stock longer than 9 ft now by opening the garage door. With an old power feeder I can power rip and mold lumber using a Sears molding head!. The Laguna slider sure is smooth compared to the Old Excalibur 60" slider which took up a LOT of room. I sold it and bought a Jessem mitre guage ! I have replaced all the shop pics in the original post with new ones and will incude a few extras in this post. Since selling the old Honda motorcycle and with the big Excalibur slider gone I have a lot more room to walk around now!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4016.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	14073

Name:	IMG_4018.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	14074

Name:	IMG_4021.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	14075

Name:	shaping edges.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	14076

Name:	ripping to width.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	14077
    hobby woodworking since 1972

NEW TOY!

I sold my chinese made 6x99 oscillating sander and picked up a used 6x108 Progress single phase 2 hp. I have seen others come up for sale but always 3 phase. I didn't waste any time deciding! A lady marquetry artist moved and her new digs couldn't fit the sander. Hasn't had a lot of use, which is good! Canadian made in Toronto, and made when steel was cheap cause this thing must be 700 pounds. Front table was missing , but easy to make one from mdf and 1/2" water pipe and flange. I had to pull my craftsman tool chest out of the line up along the wall to fit it in. I also made up some feet to be able to slide it easier if I need to use the front table. Rubber / plastic furniture pad with a flat head stove bolt.

Name:	IMG_4904.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	19835

Name:	IMG_4903.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	19836

Name:	IMG_4905.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	19837

Name:	IMG_4916-1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	19838
    I also have added wood storage racks to the shop, buying 3 of the Triton racks . I mounted 2 sets together above the lathes and 1 on the other wall beside the stroke sander. So nice not to be tripping on the lumber pile behind the TS.

Name:	IMG_4906.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	19839
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 04-27-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Boy Bryan, that looks like it will work

REAL nice get!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hi Bryan.

Good for you! more toys to play with! Enjoy them for me!

Just a question, I see that you have a dust extraction system with a cyclone,

could you give me some details about it? I'm thinking about setting one myself but the more information I have the more disoriented I feel.

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Bryan.,

Great shop, nicely equipped. Looks like lotsa fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Hi Bryan.
    Just a question, I see that you have a dust extraction system with a cyclone,
    could you give me some details about it? I'm thinking about setting one myself but the more information I have the more disoriented I feel.
    The cyclone is Bill Pentz design. Cost $50 in sheet metal, 8 hrs to put it together. Had the sheet metal guy fold and roll the parts, that saves a lot of time. The DC is a really old Grizzly 4 bag, probably near 25 yrs old now. I mounted it on the wall to make more room at floor level. The cyclone is used as a pre-separator. The cyclone is mated with a 2' sq of melamine board, strapped to the wall in a corner. When the garbage can is pulled out , the straps keep the cyclone from falling. A handle on the melamine assists in lifting a 1/2" so you can slide the can in. Not the best in efficiency, but way better than my previous attempt at separating dust and chips.

Thanks Bryan.

I have to start taking some decisions about building a cyclone, my main problem is that I will need to contract three phase power, because I can't find 3,5hp 220V single phase motors here, as soon as you need more than 2hp they make them three phase, and here domestic installations are always single phase.

Anyway, I do not want to hijack this thread so I stop here.

Thanks for the info provided.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Update!- Planer

I spotted an ad for an old 5 hp single phase 20" Delta planer about 150 miles from me. It's a 1985 Delta-Invicta Rc-51, good shape but rusty and needing a paint job. It didn't take long to polish the rust off. I used Rustoleum machine grey in spray cans, taking most of the parts off to sand and spray. At around 1200 pounds, it's a beast to move. 4" poly casters makes it easy to roll. Can this thing plane lumber! 5 hp and that huge planing head, plus double outfeed rollers, sure moves stock throught it in a hurry.I love the powered raise/lower feature!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5042.JPG   IMG_5043.JPG   IMG_5047.JPG   IMG_5048.JPG   IMG_5050.JPG  

IMG_5063.JPG  
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 08-17-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Thanks Vaughn!

I didn't make any target, I hope I'm a better woodworker than a guesser.

I have to start writing down and memorize all these things, otherwise I might get into trouble someday.

Just remembered, She was Ayesha, great novel Ryder Hadgard ( if I remember well), I read it when I was 14 or so, later I saw Ursula Andress' movie.
    YAITT
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 08-17-2008 at 04:56 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

New Sander!

I have added a Delta/Rockwell 6x48, 12" disc sander. Got it used, repainted it, new 2 hp motor, some bearings. Runs like new!

Name:	IMG_5424.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	24608